Volvo t5 in a k11

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Hi all i am moving on now from the k10 racing seen and for my next autograss racing project i am going to fit a volvo t5 engine powerplant in a k11 shell for racing.....building starts soon will post picture's when i get stuck in

no chap sorry forgot to say fwd

Good luck with that, I think that you'll really struggle to put the power down - what donor car are you using?

Space will be very tight though, I measured one up by eye and you will need a big shoehorn to get it in!

They're using the T5 in the new focus RS aren't they? And that's FF.

So this should be interesting. However, that has a magic diff.

You can't even compare the two - they get away with it in the Focus due to a fancy diff and the micra weights around 75% as much. All of the Volvo's it's in are FF and they're notorious tyre burners (I should know) in 1st gear and that's with all the weight of Sweden over those driven wheels and on tarmac.

Craig

Good luck with that, I think that you'll really struggle to put the power down - what donor car are you using?

Space will be very tight though, I measured one up by eye and you will need a big shoehorn to get it in!

agreed its gotta be rear wheel drive i think, there is no point having the power if you can't get it to the ground its just added weight after that.

little bandit weighed less than this would and had over 500bhp. that wasnt a race car it was a road car, a race car would be able to use spikes, rally tyres or slicks....

i dont see a problem, the more power the better..

little bandit weighed less than this would and had over 500bhp. that wasnt a race car it was a road car, a race car would be able to use spikes, rally tyres or slicks....

i dont see a problem, the more power the better..

lil bandit didn't get traction til 5th gear lol,

i think you are better going with light weight power, like a motorbike engine or a charged 1.3

naaah. just for shizz and giggle with a banshee of a 5cylinder turbo engine in a micra!! haha!!

have a look on youtube for volvo turbo 5 cylinder sounds...hahaha

its going in class 6 which is a fwd unlimited mods class only,,it will go in after i cut the k11 off at the bulkhead and make up a new spaceframed front end.......

I don't think the power to the front wheels is an issue with autograss is it? seen as the surface is loose anyway? so long as the diff doesn't send it all to one side.

that would be at crail when it had 400bhp, when it ran at totb it was 505bhp~~ and on slicks was still spinning..

All volvo's are either front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive IIRC because the majority of the weight is over the front wheels so they can get better traction in the snow/ice. Same with Saabs.

All volvo's are either front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive IIRC because the majority of the weight is over the front wheels so they can get better traction in the snow/ice. Same with Saabs.

well i am no volvo expert so i am not going to claim i know everything but i am pretty sure they are rear wheel drive, the engine is mounted longways... i know what you are saying tho, it would kinda make sense to have them front wheel drive,

Edit, after some research it seems like old volvos were rear wheel drive, and the newer ones were front or all, don't know when they changed over tho

More space inside the cabin, more stable handling etc etc. Basically all the reasons why 90% of the cars these days are FWD.

Also, the AWD Volvos are front wheel drive until those wheels slip and then the diff engages the rears.

Craig

and saabs used to have fore and aft mounted engines, Fwd and front wheel handbrake. dont handbrake turn a saab!!!

oh and this is what the Focus ST sounds like..lol

all 850 t5 are front wheel drive the t5r is 4wd,
the standard t5 auto is 225bhp the t5s manual which i have is 240bhp and the 4wd t5r is 260,,,,,and for £300 rica do a chip which take these all up to 300 bhp...
i paid £650 for the car with mot and tax drove it around for 6 months now its out of mot so beings i do some racing why not use it 300 bhp for say 1k is cheap power

all 850 t5 are front wheel drive the t5r is 4wd,
the standard t5 auto is 225bhp the t5s manual which i have is 240bhp and the 4wd t5r is 260,,,,,and for £300 rica do a chip which take these all up to 300 bhp...
i paid £650 for the car with mot and tax drove it around for 6 months now its out of mot so beings i do some racing why not use it 300 bhp for say 1k is cheap power

I hate to be a nob, but that's not strictly true. All the 'T5' are ~220 bhp, the T5R is ~240 by way of an overboost to 1 bar, the 850'R' is ~250 brake by way of higher boost, different turbo, forged internals (previous ones are known as rod-benders) and larger injectors, they also have a LSD in the gearbox and are all FWD except for the few AWD ones released.

Re the Rica - have you seen all the arguments between tuners/'experts' on the volvo boards regarding these? Numerous have been dyno'd and none at 300 brake by just changing the chip.

Also, I don't see how you can go faster for less, £650 is a nice price indeed - I paid more than that for mine and my mate got his for £500 off eBay - why are you deciding to race it?

Craig

Back