*Urgent Help* Clutch Problems G/F Stuck..

Hi sorry if this is in the wrong section...

...Just had a call off my G/F she said she went to put her 94 K11 in to gear and there was a Bang/Snap/Judder (her words) and the clutch lost all resistance to push down, but it still springs back up. If she tries to start it in gear with the clutch down the car is jumping forward.

I am thinking its a snapped clutch cable could it be anything else?

How hard is it to replace the cable & are the expensive?

PS why do these thing always happen when you really need the car AHHHHHHHHHH

marbar2k

i,d say your right about the cable
they are a doddle to fit (10mm spanner, 1/2 hour job)
motor factor copy cable, probably 20 quid,ish

got the AA coming out to it. I am stuck in work so I cant have a look. Is there anything else it could be or do you deffo think a clutch cable? Going to ring round now to get prices

AA has been out and confirmed its the clutch cable snapped at the gear box end. Just trying to order 1 £17. How hard is it to fit for a bit of a novice?

PS what tools do i need to do the job?

its just like changing a brake cable on a mountain bike/bmx .. only bigger, and more oily!!!

PS: make sure the new cable is well greased up so it last longer, specially with all the salt on the roads!

That depends on the cable you get, but probably not much if it's designed for the car. Just stick it on and try engage gears, and make the necessary adjustments until they all work fine.

thanks for that. Just 1 more question (sorry) is it hard to route the cable & get it through the bulk head to the pedal? & which end is best to put on first, pedal or clutch?

well 2 hours later, alot of shouting, missing some skin off my knuckles i replaced the cable. It all went smoothly until I had to hook the cable onto the clutch pedal, I just couldnt get it over the hook.

Really chuffed I fixed it for £14!

I wish I could buy you all a beer the ammount of money you have saved me, I couldnt have done with a garage bill this time of year!!

I will deffo be upgrading my membership/donating some £ to the club when i have some spare cash!

That's what we're hear for lol. People go to garages too much for jobs they could do on their own. Good to hear you got it fixed.

marbar2k

if your r/brakes are grabbing you may need to shamfer the leading edge of the shoes
if they are sticking on when you release the handbrake in the morning (and let go with a clunk) the shoes may need deglazing

Replace them lol. I need to do my front brakes as they were an advisory last year on the MOT. I have no idea what I'm doing lol.

marbar2k

if your r/brakes are grabbing you may need to shamfer the leading edge of the shoes
if they are sticking on when you release the handbrake in the morning (and let go with a clunk) the shoes may need deglazing

Thats exactly what they are doing, they release with a clunk after being on for a while and occasionally squeak under heavy braking, how do i deglaze them?

Back