Clutch... Gearbox.... HELP!

Hi guys, ok long time reader first time poster here!

Basically I need some help. The other half was driving her k11 home from work last night, went to change gear and It wouldn't. Basically it feels like its going into gear and you release the clutch but there is no power going from the engine to the wheels.

Now here's my findings:
-All the gear selector is connected and functional and it 'feels' and 'sounds' like its going into gear! However i may be wrong

- The clutch cable is connected and the pedal feels fine, the cable is moving the clutch arm thing on top not a problem!

Also there are no untoward sounds coming from anything. Its just not putting power down? So is this most likely to be the clutch? if so what part?
Any help would be MOST appreciated!

if the shafts are intact, then i would think the clutch has failed joe, there is nothing you can test without removing the box tho eh :)

Assuming it's not going into gear just feels like it is. Have you tried tightening the clutch cable to make sure you are getting enough disengagement? Do they gears crunch if you try to force it a bit (like it would if you didn't push the clutch peddle down far enough)?

Yer thats what i was afraid of... Next question, and because im more of a VW man myself... Do i need to drain the gearbox oil to remove it? Or will in leak when i remove the shafts?

Assuming it's not going into gear just feels like it is. Have you tried tightening the clutch cable to make sure you are getting enough disengagement? Do they gears crunch if you try to force it a bit (like it would if you didn't push the clutch peddle down far enough)?
No theres no grinding or crunching what so ever! and i thought it would be the opposite, surely tightening it would be the opposite of what i want to do if the clutch is not engaging

the last one i did, i pulled the g/box to one side and changed the clutch in the 6" gap, but most members remove the hub/shafts etc.
and with my smaller pre-facelift 1.0 g/box, i can lower it to the floor with shafts in situ

No theres no grinding or crunching what so ever! and i thought it would be the opposite, surely tightening it would be the opposite of what i want to do if the clutch is not engaging
I was thinking that maybe it's not disengaging to allow gear selection. Worth a try before you whip the box off. And yes, oil needs draining :) not a massive job though, couple of hours to get it out :)

Yer thats not a bad shout! was going to try tightening and loosening it first anyway but never thought of it like that!
Ha, you say its not a massive job... BUT last time i changed the clutch the filler plug snapped and has well and truly got itself stuck in there! i had to fill in with an oil pump through the drain hole! big mess!
Frank: Do you mean lower it to the floor with the shafts still connected to the box but not connected to the hub?

mine are usually engine changes joe, but here,s a pic of the box/shafts/starter/gearchange in situ

another.jpg

yes, the wheels stay on, and the g/box has been pulled off the engine and lowered down mate.
once you have the battery tray, slam panel and rad out, the access is fine, i discarded the splashplate from between the engine and g/box btw (some of them surround the o/s shaft too iirc)

the tin sandwich plate behind the flywheel joe, keeps the dust out if you drive a lot of dirt roads i guess.
what year/cc is yours ?

np :) the one i did down the 6" gap was a facelift joe, and that one had a 180mm clutch and 180mm pressure plate, so it was easy to line the 2 plates together down the 3 gaps at the side.
yours will have a 160mm friction plate, and a 170mm pressure plate, so you may need to get a clutch aligning tool in yours

Bummer, really don't want to get the box completely out as filling it with oil is a absolute nightmare! not to mention one of the drive shaft ends cross threaded when i last replaced the hub nut! hmmm

you should be able to drop yours down enough to get an aligning tool in joe, it was the bigger facelift g/box that i could,nt get to pull far enough off to lower it down

Bummer, really don't want to get the box completely out as filling it with oil is a absolute nightmare! not to mention one of the drive shaft ends cross threaded when i last replaced the hub nut! hmmm

Did a clutch change on mine on Tuesday, Easy. Took around 3hours.

Gearbox oil was a easy, Why do you think its a nightmare matey?

Did a clutch change on mine on Tuesday, Easy. Took around 3hours.

Gearbox oil was a easy, Why do you think its a nightmare matey?

Because last time i changed the clutch the filler for the box has snapped and got it self well and truly stuck in. So the only way to fill it was to pump oil in from underneath into the drain hole. That was fine that time because it was up on the lift but now i have to do it on my driveway!

Because last time i changed the clutch the filler for the box has snapped and got it self well and truly stuck in. So the only way to fill it was to pump oil in from underneath into the drain hole. That was fine that time because it was up on the lift but now i have to do it on my driveway!
While you have the box out surely you can do something about that? You are talking about the speedo drive right? They do get pretty stuck and the little tab snaps off really easy bit you should be able to get a flat head under it to prize it out :)

While you have the box out surely you can do something about that? You are talking about the speedo drive right? They do get pretty stuck and the little tab snaps off really easy bit you should be able to get a flat head under it to prize it out :)

I like your enthusiasm! however there is literally nothing left of it sticking out the box, the speedo wire just about holds on with a bit of super glue. I might contemplate it but to be honest i spent 2 hours having a go at it last time with all sorts of tools, (albeit with the box in place) with no avail!

I like your enthusiasm! however there is literally nothing left of it sticking out the box, the speedo wire just about holds on with a bit of super glue. I might contemplate it but to be honest i spent 2 hours having a go at it last time with all sorts of tools, (albeit with the box in place) with no avail!
Hmm yeah, it's a bit of a tough spot with the box in eh

Call me crazy... but why dont you use the filler bung on front of the gearbox to put the oil in!! U know the one designed for that purpose.

Dont mean to sound condescending.

Back