Clutch problems

Hi, i have been using this forum for awhile now but have not needed to post. I have found it very helpful in fixing my red rocket.

Anyways my prob is to do with the gear selection and clutch, when i first got the car afterwhile it got very difficult to put it into first gear while stationary. to the put of having to start the car in gear with the clutch down. I tried adjusting the clutch but there was little improvement.

However i got a new clutch fitted and all was well until about a year later the problem has resurfaced. I have had to modifiy the clutch cable as clutch cables do not fit properly. The outer sheath is too long, or the distance from the clutch arm to the outer cable mounting point is too small. This solved the problem for a little bit. But now has come back again.

I can't believe its the clutch, have only done approx 4000 miles on it. so has anyone got any ideas on what it could be? would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Tom

when on level ground if you start the car, put it in 1st and keep the clutch DOWN does the car try and move forward. also is the biting point really near the bottom? if so then you need to adjust it a lot!... you didnt mention if you replaced the cable.. cables will stretch and in the end will be too long to work properly. just buy a new one. like a tenner off ebay. or get one out of a scrappy (then you will know how to fit it as well).

the cable hasn't streched as have fitted a new one. But it never fitted properly and i think this has made the clutch wear out quicker. I have just recovered the car, you can't get it into any gear when the engine is running. It also will slip if you put into gear before you start the car.

Back