Undeclared drivers?

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
If I know someone to be driving a car with undeclared modifications and I don't just mean an exhaust, basically multiple mods etc

Should I contact the authourities? If so who exactly?

I know how I feel about these kind of people and it's probably same as most people here. It's not fair on our costs when they crash, remember Ian getting crashed into by someone ininsured (which is no difference as this guys insurance would be invalid)

If mods are undeclared, it doesnt necessarily mean the policy is invalid, just that the mods wont be covered in the settlement cheque. I was told this when i had my crash and i hadnt declared them at the time. Luckily as it wasnt my fault, they had to pay out and cover the costs of repair. They wouldnt have done so if it was my fault

Does that include things like Alloys Arnold?

So am I right in saying I needn't declare the alloys, the cost of which would not be paid out in case of an accident?

Its such a grey area, isnt it? The insurance companies simply want you to pay as much as possible instead of giving you clear, honest guidelines...

I know someone that had alloy pedals put on and the insurance company did not pay out anything when he had a crash, so I would tell them everything. Telling the police about the guys car and undeclared mods would be a start.

If you have an accident with Mods declared the MODS will not be changed mod for mod. You will NOT get paid for the mods, unless an assesor comes out and an agreed valuation is made of the vehicle and the mods, if this does not happen, then your insurance will only pay out on the book value of the vehicle.

my mum used to work in insurance and what she basically has told me al the time is that is varies from company to company and person to person. she has always said that you should tell them everything and then they decide what happens about it and wether your premium goes up. i would advise the person you know to tell the company but if he doesnt then you rat him out is he the kind of person to react and take it out on you or your car?

Don't do it. Life's too short to burn bridges, besides it's the insurance companies you should be getting at, not people. Regardless of what you do insurance companies will try everything they can to not pay out, they're the bad guys. Live and let live man :)

i know a guys who owns a garage who repair cars which have been in accidents then the insurance acessor comes out tells them to fix it or not...there was a car in there once, owner was 18 just passed his test and bought an astra and it was lowered with steelies when he bought it he knew this but didnt tell the insurance and he crashed into an post when it was icey. The guy from the insurance looked at it and walked away within 2 minutes - VOID -

like 59bhp said tho, it varies alot. i know somone with an undeclared engine swap (bigger engine than it was) and if he has any sort of knock then he has had it !

i can understand an insurance company being lenient with side skirts and alloys but engines...highly doubt it. Ah well if this person that you know oesnt do anything about it soon he will regret it, i used to think insurance was a waste of time then in feb i knew it wasnt.

Alloys arent expensive to add onto the insurance of your car, my nissan ones worked out to be £20 for the year !

goldstar0011 said:
If I know someone to be driving a car with undeclared modifications and I don't just mean an exhaust, basically multiple mods etc

Should I contact the authourities? If so who exactly?

I know how I feel about these kind of people and it's probably same as most people here. It's not fair on our costs when they crash, remember Ian getting crashed into by someone ininsured (which is no difference as this guys insurance would be invalid)

i think your wasting your time. if they crash it'll be there problem

If an insurance company can get out of paying something, then they'l take every option they can to do so! Its probably buried deep within there t&c's somewhere.

Its not worth the risk though. It has cost me hardly anything to cover the mods, and its piece of mind knowing they're covered now. Dont take the risk!

An insurance contract is one of uberrimae fidae, which basically means that it is of the utmost good faith, i.e. if you know something that may affect your insurance, then you have to tell them or, as people have said, the contract is void and you are not covered.
You will generally not have a leg to stand on if they see that a car is modified as they even ask you if it is or is not, so you can hardly say "I didn't know"....

Saying that, I find it hard to stomach that you have to pay extra to insure a car with mods, but get none of that value back if you have to make a claim, unless it has been specifically included in the policy.

im like that with a cam, im hopefully getting a reprofiled cam but i dunno wether to declare it its an extra £75!!!! thats alot considering its hidden in the head? i dont think it would be found but my father keeps giving me the whole what if you killed someone lark, but its true. ive got a mate who has a 2.0l mondeo which is a 1.6 on the book iirc and has just put a 1.6 in his 1.3 106 rally neither are declared but that would be serious trouble if found¬!

Some mods I think can be overlooked but engine transplants aren't just insurance it's for DVLA and MOT and sometimes tax ranges. For me it's basically cause I can't get my costs cheaper then you (whoever they are) shouldn't either.

I have no repsect for a half modder, for me a proper modder declares everything and gets proper cover and correct documents, that shows respect for the industry, the scene and fellow modders.

Goldstar, you cant inform there insurance company - it is a breach of the data protection act for you to inform them of modifications that the owner hasnt declared. THIS IS A FACT

The police arent bothered about it, even the traffic police UNLESS they catch them in the act. THIS IS A FACT.

Vosa arent bothered unless its mot time. THIS IS A FACT

DVLA arent bothered unless you write them a letter, then they are bothered, and will look into it, unless you give them all YOUR details and unless it breaks a tax bracket they are not bothered. THIS IS A FACT.

Makes me sick

Back