Umm wont start

Hiii aint posted in here un a while. Well i have a slight problrm. Basically after iv left the car for a long period of time, the car wont start. To be specific il get in, car sounds like its going to start, all the lights come on then the engine cuts out and the electrics go out.

I have a 1995 nissan micra. No alarm and no immobiliser

How longs, a long period of time mate? And how much fuel is the gage showing? Also does the car sound like its trying to start strongly?

Fuels half full and long period of time is over night or while im at wor (usually between 5 and 8 hours)
Its only started happing in the last few days.
P.s sorry for the spelling, im on my ipod
Edit: yes it starts stongly but cuts out. But after a minute or so, it starts fine, drives fine. Its weird

Have you tried jum starting it and taking it out for a spin to test alternator and to charge battery??
I had a problem for the past week of my car having a little amount of charge in the battery (enough for lights but notmuch else) turned out that the cold had screwed my battery up, went out and £45 later had a new battery and it has been working fine since

But everythink works fine. Once its going. I can put the key in and my blowers come on, lights come on, radio comes on but when i go to start it, everything cuts out. Il take it for a blast tomorrow.

Reason why i doubt the batterys ######d, is cause i only got a new one about 10 months ago.

Battery plates can get defectice over a peroid of time this causing the battery to fault, can happen to new batterys as well!! get the battery checked from kwik fit they do a drop test on it.... takes a few seconds...

J

so when you turn the key the engine turns over fine? and then starts...but dies shortly after? im a bit confused as to the problem.

As above, check the ignition switch. Ours does the same, but usually when driving along. You get the same symptoms as if you'd took the keys out of the ignition. Engine stops and no ignition lights / battery lights etc are on but the key is still in the Ignition position. If you wiggle the key or take it out and start again its fine. This happens randomly though and periodically, not every time the car is started like with your symptoms? I plan to change the switch on the barrel when i get a chance.

Mark

the ignition switch broke on mine and it sounds similar to your problem, I ended up replacing the whole barrel. if yo have allot of keys on your chain then they will swing when you drive and wear out the barrel.

mines done something similar b4 a couple of times, it wud turn over, fire, thn cut out, narrowed it down to the battery, cause tryed to bumb started it, nd started nd kept going, so a took it for a spin, to recharge batt, nd now seems ok

Back