car wont start please answer

CMF_jordan donohoe

» CMF Member
heya I have a 99 micra when I try to start it tge car just chuggs and wont turn on but when I connect it to jump leads it starts no problem I dont think its the battery vecause its in great shape and fairly new any tips people thanks . jordan donohoe

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
check all your plug leads, connections on the distributor and the spark plug end too.. I had moisture around the spark plugs and starting became difficult. some silicone grease or spray displaces the water and all good now.
also check your battery voltage, should be 12.4 volt I think and 13.4-13.7 when running.

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Sounds like an alternator. Even if the battery is new it will be drained if the alternator is not charging it while it runs.

Check terminals are clean and tight on the connectors.

As stated above get a multimeter and check charge prior to starting and while it is running. 12.4v is minimum charge without it running. As above 13.4-13.7v when running (make sure you disconnect the jumper lead if needed to start).
If you're not getting the 13.4-13.7v reading when running check the belt is tensioned correctly, otherwise the alternator might be gone and need replacing (fairly easy replacement)

CMF_jordan donohoe

» CMF Member
well the belts need to ve changed on the car any way there cracked and squeeking like ya know do you lads think its something simple any way like would it be costly to get a machanic to look it over

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
If you're not exactly sure how to check the alternator do a youtube search for "alternator diagnosis" you'll get a few videos. Ericthecarguy is always informative and will explain how to use the multimeter to diagnose a faulty alternator. Good luck with it.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Danvillan WROTE:

"If you're not exactly sure how to check the alternator do a youtube search for "alternator diagnosis" you'll get a few videos. Ericthecarguy is always informative and will explain how to use the multimeter to diagnose a faulty alternator. Good luck with it.

Have the car running, put the "Positive/Red lead" positive on the Alternator and have an earth "Black lead" (wether it be body or battery) and if it doesn't run between 13.4-14.2 volts, it will be faulty, make sure the multimeter is set to V for Volts

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
RTK WROTE:
Have the car running, put the "Positive/Red lead" positive on the Alternator and have an earth "Black lead" (wether it be body or battery) and if it doesn't run between 13.4-14.2 volts, it will be faulty, make sure the multimeter is set to V for Volts

Yeah the hard bit can be set the multimeter properly if you haven't used one before. Set it to the 20v DC setting to get the correct reading. Also check the positive wire for continuity by using the multimeter in ohm setting look for a reading of .05 ohm, if there's a break in the wire it will show infinity symbol.

Check the fuse for the alternator hasn't blown as well, I believe the fuse is in the engine bay near the battery.

Back