Tyre sizes

CMF_Schnapper

» CMF Member
Hey everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas!

Just posting on here for general opinions.

I've sorted out cars suspension, and I've bought some wheels! Bow bottle caps in 14x6" +25 so they should sit nicely I think. they'll be all white too.

Now as for tyres, i have some 165/55-14s that I can get pretty cheap, they're slightly smaller overall than the stock tyres but obviously a little wider and hopefully will have little flex on the wheel. How does that sound? I wanted to go 185s but they're all bigger diameter than stock and I like smaller wheels, better drive ratio etc.

Any sizes that are common which you think will be best? Found some 185-55s for $110 each, ow. and still they'll be balloons :(

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
I talked to a tyre shop a while back getting some daily 13 inch replacements, they agreed 175/60-14 is legal, and likely one of the cheapest 'legal' tyre option for a 14 inch rim.

And it's not like the Micra has trouble pulling the larger wheels, one thing I noticed in mine, I had some crap 175/65-14's that came on some Pulsar rims I got, tried them and thought the ratio suited the stock gearing better, but maybe it's just me.

With stock tyre sizes my Micra feels like it's geared too short, 1st on mine feels damn near useless at times, you can actually take off in 2nd with out much trouble, no weight and with an engine that is better than average makes it so easy.

In the end I dove some weeks with the 175/65's on the 14's, and simply found it better suited to most driving conditions ratio wise, I just liked it that way (in my mind the taller tyres also look better), just a shame it's not legal as such.

Edit: Just a quick add to what RTK said, I also noticed a better ride with taller tyres, less jarring that the stock type sidewall heights.

CMF_tiSh

» CMF Member
165-55-R14s are low profile look with stretch... wish i could buy that size here...

im using 185-55-r14s bridgestone playz and yokohama at rears...

but rare to find here in our country.. these were imported from japan along with the rims...

also have same rim size as yours 14x6.5.. but not quite sure about the offset...

Attachments

• 73528.jpg
    73528.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 27
Back