Good tyre sizes and stretch? Opinions needed

mintyfresh

Ex. Club Member
My new wheels come with different tyres on the front to on the rear and the rears are far too big but im not sure whether to get the same as the fronts or to get all different tyres?
I've done some comparisons with willtheyfit.com so you can see the difference to standard and also other options, what do you guys think is the cheapest/most common good looking tyre size on a 7J with a bit of stretch? By the way, fronts had a little poke (still legal though i think) when trial fitting but didnt fit over hubs properly (hence the need for enlarging the centre bore) so may be even better when they fit & sit flush? Also plan on more drop when these wheels are finally on but i dont want them to look too small, wanting minimum arch gap or even a bit of tuck/flush without going dangerously low (i'll only be shortening my already -60mm springs).

FRONTS (175/60/13):
ATSFRONTS.jpg

REARS (175/70/13):
ATSREARS.jpg

175/50/13:
ScreenShot004.jpg

165/55/13:
ScreenShot003.jpg

You won't see much stretch at all with a 175/50 on a 7, the sidewalls will be straight with slightly rolled shoulders, even with 165 its not massive.

I've just had some 155/70's swapped off of these for some 165/55's.

DSCF1842.jpg

DSCF1841.jpg

DSCF1840.jpg

Though it might be worth picking up a part worn 155/65 and giving it a go. Don't forget that as you reduce the diameter of the tyre your speedo will over read and you will be doing more revs to achieve the speed you want. Fuel economy will go down :( Acceleration will go up - lower gearing :laugh: All of which is pretty marginal though :p

155/70 on a 7" to the left.

DSCF1090.jpg

DSCF1089.jpg

Thats a 175/60 on an 8" next to it.

It might be worth picking up an odd part worn and giving it a try befor you splash out on a full set of tyres.

Thanks Mark the 165/55s do look good I'm just worried I won't be able to go low enough on springs to have them nice in the arches

Might be worth trying a cheepy part worn 155/65 on there then, I'd be very intersted to see some trial pics. II'll get a trial pic of mine fitted tomorrow hopefully, I'm around 60mm down when measured against my mother-in-laws moredoor so that should give you an idea of how they would sit. What's the offset on 7" classics, is it slightly positive - I'm sure I remember reading about the 8"s being 0 and the 7"s being around +10/+15ish.

Just answered my own question looking at your WTF's. +20, wow thats more than I expected, you might even need to space the rears slightly to keep em looking right, or hunt out a pair of 8s and run them staggared!

The rears were quite close to the arches when trial fitting Mark but that was with the balloon tyres on :p the fronts had a bit of poke with the 175/60s on also. At £26 a corner 165/55 nankangs may be the option but might try and source some part worns like you said

A coil off your -60's should see it sitting excellently over 165's. with +20 you might even need to space them out a bit! Maybe 175/50s are the (unfortunately expensive) way forward.

DSCF1858.jpg

DSCF1857.jpg

Are those the 165/55s Mark? They fit nicely under the arches but I'd like a little less arch gap than on those pics, if that can't be done with 165/55s I might have to opt for a larger tyre. Hmm why can't I know someone with exactly the same wheels as me, running 165s :(

Yep 165/55s. A coil off your -60 springs would probably do it. But running with a bit of excess arch gap will motivate you to get saving for the coilovers.

Coilies are definitely not economically viable right now :( wheels are back and I'm picking up my car tomorrow so all being well I'll have some pics up tomorrow showing the current tyres. My jdm lights have arrived also, and I bought a jap tow hook (lol!) so Ill be a busy boy tomorrow night!

Back