Tyre sizes........

Good Morning,

I've tried searching the forum but could only find one thread with the word tyres in it, which seems a little strange, so please forgive me if I'm covering old ground.

My girlfriend has a '04 1.2 SX running on 175/60R15 tyres and hit a curb in the snow yesterday, putting a rather large hole in the side wall of the tyre. Every place I've call say that the tyre is a unusual size, there for expensive and no one keeps them in stock.

A little research on the internet reveals that a 195/55R15 has a similar rolling radius (less than 1% difference), the tyre fitter I subsequently spoke to said the only problem might be clearance in the wheel arch on full lock.

Is anyone else already using 195/55R15 and have they experienced any problems?

Many thanks.

Antony

I doubt if it would rub, but if it is a worry then why not try a 185/55, the difference in rolling circumference is so small that its negligable, there is far less chance of rubbing and with the shorter sidewall will improve handling a little.

Sonic,

Thanks for the suggestion, I had considered the 185/55R15, however the rolling radius difference is greater than 1%, I'm not sure how much effect this will have on the speedo reading, but didn't want to take any chances, what with all the speed cameras about etc.

I was going to say, 195/55 is more common on 15" wheels, and is what I had on my alloys...

They tend to be cheaper because of being more common :)

I've had a chat with my local tyre fitter and a Goodyear 195/55R15 is £59 fitted, compared with a Continental 175/60R15 at £79. As said in the previous post it's a much more common size of tyre and hopefully easier to find one in stock.

He doesn't think clearance should be an issue now he's had a look at the car. I'll replace the rear tyres after pay day and see how I get on.

My old MX5 used to run on 195/50R15's!

195 tyres wont fit very good on the original alloy or metal wheels so you have to change them too. Mine is 1.4lt but about 96hp and i have 185/55/15 which are as expensive as the stock 175/60/15.Handling was improved very much .I have tried also Toyo R888 195/50/15 onto the stock alloy wheels but didnt fit very good.But handling and accuracy to the steering wheel is great.
I think changing to 195/50/15 is a very good step to those who dont want to spend much money on tyres , but the best sollution for me are 185/55/15 tyres.

I had this when I changed mine because I HATED the Conti's (in fact I've still got them in the garden on steels).
It is an odd size. I got Dunlops on our K12 now, cheaper (but NOT cheap) and loads better than the Conti's. Especially in the cold or wet.

Tazmaniac, that's interesting. What tread pattern Dunlops are you running. We've tried both and I preferred the Conti's.

I've noticed mytyres currently have 175/60R15 Yokohama A.drives for £50, so I might give those a try.

Dunlop Sport SP300's - 'Summer' tyres but feel better than the Conti's did...

The Yoki's sound interesting, cheaper than the Dunlops too.

If they're still viable, someone can have the Conti's and steels I've got out back!

And can someone tell me if the 16" alloys of a Note will fit a Micra no prob's?

We were running the Dunlop Sport 200E.

I've just had some Goodyear NCT5's fitted. My first impressions are good, but I haven't driven in the wet yet. Our local tyre dealer had them on offer (£65 fitted), so I decided not to get the Yokohama's, even though they were slightly cheaper, but the chap would have to order them and they wouldn't arrive until Monday. The Goodyears are also V rated, so hopefully that should sharpen up the handling a little.

How wide are the Note alloys?

Just an update, after a few weeks driving around on the Goodyear's, I'm pleased to say that they're good little tyres.

They provide plenty of grip in both the wet and dry, also performing well under braking. The turn in also feels sharper, but this might just be the placebo effect of fitting new tyres. Overall though, I'm very impressed.

Back