Turboing a 1.0

I know this may be a stupid question, but has anyone tried turboing a 1.0? I've seen a few people doing 1.3's but never seen anyone mention doing a 1.0

Is there any reason noones done it?

Purely because theres more horsepower in a 1.3

Micra.jas done it and got over 100hp but he used 1.3 pistons to lower compression. Just used the 1.0ltr stroke iirc

i would,nt use 1.3 pistons like jas did personally fwn not unless you were planning to use crazy boost and could put up with the lag

Not with a decent turbo Frank. Modern turbo's can be run quite large while maintaining low lag. The boost threshold might be a bit higher then some people would like, but when you're giving the car some beans, you're always up in the revs anyway. The hybrid on my starlet had mental spool, lag was never an issue, just a highish threshold, but that never bothered me once.

I guess people don't turbo the 1.0 because its the same work as turboing a 1.3, and you're going to get less power.

i was just thinking out loud cause there seems to be a lot of 1.0's but people are spending the money on 1.3 conversions

i meant the C/R ian, its probably too low for a daily (with 1.3 pistons)
dale went for low comp pistons and high boost, and it was too laggy for a daily really

how would the 1.0 pistons hold up with a turbo? how strong are they? although ive never heard any 1.0 micra pistons give trouble :wasntme:

Always number 3 frank. With my turbo it was always over/around 120mph+ constant speed that melted mines. Never did i accelarate and it happened straight away

A t04e at the time (mahoosive) recent times was exhaust side of the t04e and inlet of a t3. Never melted anything purely because i never took it about 3500rpm lol

so if i searched for a turbo off something small .a CT9 (iirc) off a starlet and threw it at a 1litre for a daily car :laugh: It should be relaible if done correctly

Not sure mate, a guy i knew had a ct9 on a 1.3 and supposedly it only run good once the rest of the time it melted pistons. Obviously if mapped you shouldnt have much bother if theres not alot of boost on stock C/R

Also i highly recommend 2 head gaskets! No plates inbetween just on top of each other if you cant afford/be bothered with low comp pistons. I used to run 0.8 daily and it was great

Also i highly recommend 2 head gaskets! No plates inbetween just on top of each other if you cant afford/be bothered with low comp pistons. I used to run 0.8 daily and it was great

What sort of torque would you go with? I'd be worried about too much squish with stock torque settings and leakage with less fwn

I'm surprised you didn't recommend a head skim to go with a CG10 + CG13 pistons Frank, surely that would put things in the right area and still be doable?

I'm surprised you didn't recommend a head skim to go with a CG10 + CG13 pistons Frank, surely that would put things in the right area and still be doable?

yes, that would be better eh (i think without the skim you,re talking around 7.5 : 1) similar to dale,s vitara pistons, and he tried smaller piping and smaller intercooler, but could,nt get rid of his lag fwn

By the sounds of it, the reason people don't do 1ltr turbos (except the brave few) is cause it's so difficult to get it running properly for longer than a couple of goes

Always number 3 frank. With my turbo it was always over/around 120mph+ constant speed that melted mines. Never did i accelarate and it happened straight away

Funny you should say that...noticed the other day that number 3 on mine is running lean (spark plug evidence) compared to all the others which are fine, so im looking to pull the injector incase its blocked / clogged.. Could be coincidental.

Hi

Sorry for the delay Frank mine was cyl 3 not sure what the turbo was off the top of my head, miss the psssst though lol

Made my day too it was excellent fun and was worth the piston and now I love my jenveys so definitely worth going for

Thanks

Paul

thanks gents, iirc steve,s ST did a # 3 piston or liner too :eek: i wonder it 3 GA15 (pink) injectors and 1 x GA16 (black) injector would compensate eh ?

If im honest there was a good few things i could have done better but we learn as we go along..........I got 124 BHP from the 998cc...using a T20 turbo....Ga16 injectors....1300 pistons e.c.t........................But i know the engine is still running as a 998 turbo....and is now on 150 BHP as the garage fitted forged pistons and stand alone ecu (Y)(Y)

The car ran perfectly well and made a few long journeys with ease....except i thinnk sumwer along the line the Throttle bodie wasnt responding well and kept having major flat spots........................But that must of been corrected since then as like i say its still going..............

But my advice to you is....dont waste your money.........................If anything buy Mega-Squirt and run throttle bodies from a R1 or similar. (Y)

Purely because would i have even melted a piston if theres wasnt this lean point in cyl 3 eventhough lean is all my car run lol

They werent within safe limits but nothing ever went wrong with the others and it was always at 12 o'clock on the piston crown that was melted

If im honest there was a good few things i could have done better but we learn as we go along..........I got 124 BHP from the 998cc...using a T20 turbo....Ga16 injectors....1300 pistons e.c.t........................But i know the engine is still running as a 998 turbo....and is now on 150 BHP as the garage fitted forged pistons and stand alone ecu (Y)(Y)

The car ran perfectly well and made a few long journeys with ease....except i thinnk sumwer along the line the Throttle bodie wasnt responding well and kept having major flat spots........................But that must of been corrected since then as like i say its still going..............

But my advice to you is....dont waste your money.........................If anything buy Mega-Squirt and run throttle bodies from a R1 or similar. (Y)

did you get it mapped when you had it? . I have ga14 injectors a 1.0 engine on the ground as a spare,i can get a turbo off something small and make a mani?,has anyone put a turbo off a diesel car onto a micra?or would it be able for the heat and high rpm?

I have a turbo some place off a 1.6 td golf,its huge :p i can get one off a 1.9 tdi passat engine as well would be a better turbo i reckon,id like to give this a try before the years out

Never been into tuning engines, for real.... Just wan´t to say, that I find this thread very interesting. I have 1.nothing K11...... And the thought of putting a mill on it..... Very interesting. Very interesting indeed. :glare:

I am having a great time with the little K11, real fun to drive a little rough. Can only to well imagine what 100-120 hp´s would do to the fun-factor. :p Quite convinced it then would be more fun, than my P11 2.0.... And that is actually plenty fun.... Hmm... when I get some spending money, of the more serious kind....

Back