turboing a micra?

Ian

Ex. Club Member
not another question, just a quick document i typed up, what you people think? I'm no expert in this field, far FAR from it. But im hoping to clear up newbie's asking the sam stuff over and over.

----------------------------

So you want to turbo your micra?

first of all, im NO expert when it comes to turboing a micra. But i have put a lot of thought into this, but the main thing is i am realistic to the expectations of the process and the outcome.

Right, you've been to the moon and back with basic N/A tuning. You've managed to get 100bhp or more out of your CG13, but you don't have any midrange poke. The only way to get the speed is to pop a cog and gun it. This is where your turbo is going to come in handy. Even for making the same amount of power, your gonna have more torque, but your gonna have drawbacks still.

Where to start?

Well first of all your gonna need cash, cold hard cash. Let's call it £2000 minimum (but your gonna run out) but the more the better and there's no way around this. You should start with a CG13de, not a CG10, the 1.3 is better and its going to produce more power, mod for mod over a 1 litre. Now get a spare engine and gearbox for when yours more then likely, explodes.

Parts you need:

A turbo manifold. NO you CANNOT use your janspeed/manifold/nismo/whatever you already have, a turbo manifold is totally different.

A turbo. Something decent like a T2 or a T25 from an S13 200sx. Try the SXOC for old turbo's being flogged, they can go quite cheap.

Engine management. You NEED this, wether stand alone or piggyback. You can't get away with a GA16 ECU, if it were that easy, everyone would be doing really.

turbo oil feed. You need oil from the engine to the turbo and back. You can get oil to the turbo by using a sandwhich plate from a toyota, simple enough. But to get it back your going to need to drill and tap the block/sump/wherever for connection.

Uprating running gear. A gearbox would stand with lowish power's and torques as long as you dont hammer the nuts off it, but clutches won't really. Your going to need a good uprated clutch, im not sure who do these, excedy i believe i one of them.

Piping, lots off it and samco bends for the various bits and pieces.

A decent sized intercooler for higher boost.

A bigger radio to keep them under bonnet temps down.

Lowering compression ratio, either a gasket or forged pistons. The latter being my choice, but its around £1000 for crowns and conn rods. Great for high 18psi type boost though

From here there are 3 main options i can think of for your to travel here, and a bit of mix and match, just depends on your budget/ability.

number 1. You can turbo the car yourself. This is possibly the cheapest method but dont expect amazing results. I would think you should be able to hit around 120/130 bhp, make boost at an okish rpm depending on your manifold and as long as your sensible with boost, and have it reliable for daily use. You can get a manifold by either welding one up yourself if your handy with that sort of thing, or create an adapter plate for a turbo to bold on where the original cat does. This would be an okay place to get started, but its not going to be great really. If you dont lower compression 6 PSI is around the max you can get away with. ~120bhp would be expected.

Number 2. Buy a kit. You can get kits with everything you need, bolt on from SFX performance, HKS europe and a few others. Expect to pay around £3000 just to get it into this country. Then more if you pay someone else to do fit it. Your going to see decent performance gains, and a good place to start for extra tuning. ~130 without other modification, but could see you mega power.

number 3. Custom everything. Jo, and cisco have went down this route and they are creating mega power, but for mega bucks. I wouldnt say £8,000 is a silly figure to estimate costs. But you can see 200+ bhp.

-----------------------------------------

Ian

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Nice one Ian, alot of Turbo talk at times with little seen.
Simply put is you need money and plenty of and lack of thinking worrying about how much it's costing!

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Its a bit too brief, and concentrates on putting fear in to somone by making it look like it WILL explode haha but it does cover the main points. Hmm I could literally write a book on it but the way to go is to see what questions people are left with perhaps.

OP
OP
I

Ian

Ex. Club Member
iirc, most of turbo micra's on here have exploded :D. Yeah its brief and i could add more, but im no expert, was something i whipped up in under 10 mins :)

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
What BHP will you get if you turbo the 1.3 for around £2000? is 140-150BHP about right? I know you can get 200BHP+ but thats with extensive tuning and plenty more cash.

If so, wouldn't fitting a 1.6 with a performance manifold, exhaust, induction come close to that say 130BHP, more for few more pennies, the 1.6 option would be much cheaper right?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
BTW all these people using thick head gaskets and spacer plates, yes you can reduce compression with this BUT its the worse way to do it. It upsets everything from the piston squish area to the cam timing, even potentially as far as the block and head cooling..