Thinking of turboing my 1.0 gx. What do I need?

Like the title says I want to go turbo on my k11. It's fully stock at the minute and I'm planning on pulling her off the road and doing a fair bit of work (coilovers, upgraded brakes, wheels, cams etc etc).

I'm capable around the insides and underneath of a car but not very knowledgable as I've never done anything like this on my own. I was just wondering what kind of a shopping list I'll need to get the turboing done. I've a friend who's a welder/fabricator so all the manifold exhaust stuff is sorted (& he'll help with the build so I won't be that lost).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

For a shopping list you'll need
Manifold (as you've mentioned)
Turbo of course
Oil feed pipe
Oil return pipe
Sump attachment for oil return
GA16 injectors
Pipework
Intercooler if necessary
Management (nistune, megajolt, megasquirt etc)
And someone to map It all :)

There's a few knowledgeable chaps in the cg turbo world like @frank and @pollyp
I'm sure they'll help guide you along and fill in any blanks I've missed

For a shopping list you'll need
Manifold (as you've mentioned)
Turbo of course
Oil feed pipe
Oil return pipe
Sump attachment for oil return
GA16 injectors
Pipework
Intercooler if necessary
Management (nistune, megajolt, megasquirt etc)
And someone to map It all :)

There's a few knowledgeable chaps in the cg turbo world like @frank and @pollyp
I'm sure they'll help guide you along and fill in any blanks I've missed
Thanks a million! Time to start spending all my money!

You're welcome, have fun
aye have fun :D my current ghetto setup is running 10 psi and (11:1, on paper) compression ratio, fueled by asda,s finest unleaded.
these CG10,s are pretty bulletproof if you have the right spark map (fusion nistune on mine)

P1070349.JPG

Like the title says I want to go turbo on my k11. It's fully stock at the minute and I'm planning on pulling her off the road and doing a fair bit of work (coilovers, upgraded brakes, wheels, cams etc etc).

I'm capable around the insides and underneath of a car but not very knowledgable as I've never done anything like this on my own. I was just wondering what kind of a shopping list I'll need to get the turboing done. I've a friend who's a welder/fabricator so all the manifold exhaust stuff is sorted (& he'll help with the build so I won't be that lost).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Good look with the build 1.0 is fast and fun as I was very suprised how @frank car went And I had a smile on my face, frank told me his car wasn't fully done yet so maybe that would be scary more boost frank, go nistune and go with eBay and scrappy parts like injectors or bits and bobs to finish it on a budget and done probley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we need more FINISHED projects on here guy,s, its gone dead around here lately FFS
we outnumber the dutch guy,s about 10 to 1 but they have unveiled a CG13+t a GA16 and SR20 this week
http://www.micrafanclub.com/index.php/topic,15150.225.html
http://www.micrafanclub.com/index.php/topic,16011.15.html
http://www.micrafanclub.com/index.php/topic,16000.0.html

Hehe :D plenty of interesting stuff going on even tho the 1.6 was bought that way an the sr20 one linked isn't finished yet but more is on the way. Jeroen is stil busy rebuilding a car which should get a 2.0, he also got lucky with a nice Oger version which will get a USDM GA16DE ECCS

http://www.micrafanclub.com/index.php/topic,14735.0.html
http://www.micrafanclub.com/index.php/topic,15980.0.html

But well all finished projects are good to see so hope you guys get some to
So hope you can make this 1.0 turbo a reality :D

planning a turbo setup is a complicated art with hundreds of possible variables to consider for your application so below I'm just touching the iceberg.

what type/configuration of turbo and part's that require upgrading will all depend on ur target goal and application and is a compromise.
big destructive high end puwer or quick low end response?
daily street driving or dedicated track car?

the bare essentials are obviously turbo, induction pipes connecting turbo to TB, oil feed lines from oil port in the front of head, oil drain, manifold (alternator configuration maybe affected) & downpipe

as a start for low boost/power (3psi/90-100bhp), brief acceleration, street driving - the stock systems may handle it fine up to a point depending on their condition and preferably run 98ron but as for any engine tuning I'd highly recommend a proper ecu remap (once all the bits are fitted) such as with Nistune daughterboard via Ed at fusion motorsports to keep the mixtures safe and get the most out of a particular setup.

as ur target bhp increases towards a higher 10psi/160bhp/160ftlb setup like mine, u start to overload all the standard fuel, MAF, drive train & cooling systems, especially during long WOT on trackdays.
I upgraded alot of preventative measures (better to have too much potential than to run parts beyond their limitations) to ensure a reliable daily 160bhp with occasional long trackdays, ie:
  • keep intake temps down with big intercooler, insulation, teflon inlet manifold insulator.
  • upgraded fuel supply with walbro fuel pump & injectors.
  • MAF from bigger engines to be able to still read airflow accurately at the target bhp
  • colder plugs
  • bigger clutch
  • LSD to improve traction
  • Bigger brakes to handle track abuse
  • thicker radiator to handle the massive heat generated on trackdays
  • stiffer PU lower wishbone front bush
the weakest link / parts to upgrade in order of importance as bhp increases imo are:
  1. tyres (increased power & speed is useless/dangerous without traction & grip)
  2. head gasket (recommend genuine nissan HG cos it's alot stronger than cheap ebay HG)
  3. Tunable ecu via Nistune daughterboard (after fitting turbo, u can tune the map at any time, starting with stock bits onwards, until the weakest part max's out/fails..then you upgrade and retune. Or another recommended remapping strategy is to upgrade everything at once then remap it)
  4. injectors
  5. pump
  6. bigger MAF
  7. clutch (fit the biggest u can to suit the max torque you'll EVER think of reaching or else you'll end up upgrading again unnecessarily)
  8. radiator (stock 16mm rad can only handle so much continuous trackday heat. an automatic k11 rad is direct fit but a thicker 26mm, can handle 160bhp easy)
  9. LSD (big torque will spin an open diff easily)
  10. gearbox (1.3 box is quite strong for 160bhp. only failure was a worn input shaft bearing after a long track abuse)
other preferable parts are
  • wideband to monitor and save ur investment
  • good flowing air filter placed in a cool air supply
  • BOV/Recirc valve
  • boost gauge
  • good flowing exhaust system
  • oil catch can to filter oil vapour out the PCV breather (to prevent oil fouling the intake system & MAF over time) before returning back to the turbo inlet
for more info here's the index of my blog
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild-blog-index.52496/

we need more FINISHED projects on here guy,s, its gone dead around here lately FFS
we outnumber the dutch guy,s about 10 to 1 but they have unveiled a CG13+t a GA16 and SR20 this week
http://www.micrafanclub.com/index.php/topic,15150.225.html
http://www.micrafanclub.com/index.php/topic,16011.15.html
http://www.micrafanclub.com/index.php/topic,16000.0.html
I think the general attitude to projects on here is now pretty numb. No one seems to be interested in the different so I guess people either dont update the MSC or the attitude towards them makes them feel its not worth while

We need more positive support for those having a go :) my 2 cents

Guys, mine will come soon this year. i need to wait to get two years no claim bonus then i will hit with 1.3 turbo conversion. i am patient to wait until this june. in these times, i should get these parts to be ready by june time. Still i am looking around these turbo informations. I think i could reach up to 180bhp.

Guys, mine will come soon this year. i need to wait to get two years no claim bonus then i will hit with 1.3 turbo conversion. i am patient to wait until this june. in these times, i should get these parts to be ready by june time. Still i am looking around these turbo informations. I think i could reach up to 180bhp.
it will be a quick Micra

yea i know so my list is somewhere. i need to find my list soon.
other options are get the engine and build on it and buy all the bits that might take 2 months getting few bits and putting it all on, simple when June comes swap your engine what u done in Micra

other options are get the engine and build on it and buy all the bits that might take 2 months getting few bits and putting it all on, simple when June comes swap your engine what u done in Micra

yea that is what i am doing in these months time. :0

speaking of time, while I'm sorting through my blog I thought this turbo conversion procedure plan I wrote back then (for prepping and fitting the turbo system onto my car) would be handy for you guys

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-20#post-449898

We need to end the negativity to the project builders, like signing em off as failures before they're done, then the msc might get a few more eh ;)

Last edited:
We need to end the negativity to the project builders then the msc might get a few more eh ;)
not negativity andy, just need more members modding their cars ;) the aussies and european guys have to jump through hoops to get engineers reports, and only being able to fit "approved" products,
we have it easy in the uk

not negativity andy, just need more members modding their cars ;) the aussies and european guys have to jump through hoops to get engineers reports, and only being able to fit "approved" products,
we have it easy in the uk
Apart from everything's expensive :p

Have to disagree with the negativity.. I always see "the msc never delivers"... people don't need to see it personally. Only reason I bring it up is the "it'll never happen" attitude with nissanubaru... puts me off updating... msc loses a project. I've only myself to prove to :) and a few expectant passengers

I understand banter as you well know :p but the forum is for support not discouragement :)

Apart from everything's expensive :p

Have to disagree with the negativity.. I always see "the msc never delivers"... people don't need to see it personally. Only reason I bring it up is the "it'll never happen" attitude with nissanubaru... puts me off updating... msc loses a project. I've only myself to prove to :) and a few expectant passengers

I understand banter as you well know :p but the forum is for support not discouragement :)
Expensive and insurance is unreal.

Usually it doesn't mate. Simple as that. We drive cars that people usually get for first cars. So money is tight. The general populous of the MSc are poor young people.

You need to man up on feeling that "it will never happen" crowd. I only Slate those who I know in real life and personally. I know you didn't like me pulling up Scott. If you dont want to put up a thread don't put one up.

But the proof is in the puddin.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I have to be honest it is really expensive for full turbo conversion even after doing things yourself, u buy parts u don't need and end up going past 2 grand mark after u need more for remap and engine management, and that's buying parts from scrappy, I learnt 1 thing do the maths things u need, other is cut once and measure 2 times

Sent from my iPhone using T

I have to be honest it is really expensive for full turbo conversion even after doing things yourself, u buy parts u don't need and end up going past 2 grand mark after u need more for remap and engine management, and that's buying parts from scrappy, I learnt 1 thing do the maths things u need, other is cut once and measure 2 times

Sent from my iPhone using T
Best to measure before cutting eh! ;)

Stop being a left wing hippy.

Right wing is too mainstream :p

Expensive and insurance is unreal.

Usually it doesn't mate. Simple as that. We drive cars that people usually get for first cars. So money is tight. The general populous of the MSc are poor young people.

You need to man up on feeling that "it will never happen" crowd. I only Slate those who I know in real life and personally. I know you didn't like me pulling up Scott. If you dont want to put up a thread don't put one up.

But the proof is in the puddin.

I dont mind banter etc. I openly accept it. Part of what keeps people's morale up.
Feel free to pull up whoever ypu like. Scott has changed his and more than I've changed my underwear. As you say the micra community is mainly poor so those making the effort need tl feel its worthwhile. Not everyone does things to please themselves anymore

I put the thread up to share my build/experience/excitement. But then I think if people keep saying "it'll never happen" then by not updating I get no fuss as people forget... there's a difference between people needing to man up and people being supportive. Nothing nice to say, say nothing and all that

Right wing is too mainstream :p

I dont mind banter etc. I openly accept it. Part of what keeps people's morale up.
Feel free to pull up whoever ypu like. Scott has changed his and more than I've changed my underwear.

I put the thread up to share my build/experience/excitement. But then I think if people keep saying "it'll never happen" then by not updating I get no fuss as people forget... there's a difference between people needing to man up and people being supportive. Nothing nice to say, say nothing and all that

Yeah banter is what keeps up challeenging things. I will continue to do so lol I just dont wanna see you moaning when I dont think there is such a huge anti-micra progression eastern power looming over the msc.

Okay yes thats ****e tbh. but still man up. you would be suprised in who says you cant finish it or even attempt. dont be a little wuss and stop sharing cause you get a few muppets. on the flip side I suppose I can understand not doing so, when you have that much pride for something peoples negative **** makes you think "who da ****ru son? what do you know? cant you just enjoy **** once in a while instead of spamming and thinking you know everything nob head wnker" - yeah.. know what i mean?

Well thats a load of crap cause I have plenty not nice stuff to say and people still pretend to like me. the truth is good. I dont doubt you getting the job done with the nissanburu, but I will still rip in to you..

@Dr_Butthole
MAF
Exhuast
Manifold
Turbo
Electronic Boost controller
Nistune or equiv
Intercooler
Standard fuel pump
=
like 140hp
cheap and simple
I probs left a few things out there.

DO NOT RUN WITHOUT MAPPING
it will just kill ur motivation when the thing blows up

Yeah banter is what keeps up challeenging things. I will continue to do so lol I just dont wanna see you moaning when I dont think there is such a huge anti-micra progression eastern power looming over the msc.

Okay yes thats ####e tbh. but still man up. you would be suprised in who says you cant finish it or even attempt. dont be a little wuss and stop sharing cause you get a few muppets. on the flip side I suppose I can understand not doing so, when you have that much pride for something peoples negative #### makes you think "who da ####ru son? what do you know? cant you just enjoy #### once in a while instead of spamming and thinking you know everything nob head wnker" - yeah.. know what i mean?

Well thats a load of crap cause I have plenty not nice stuff to say and people still pretend to like me. the truth is good. I dont doubt you getting the job done with the nissanburu, but I will still rip in to you..
See that I agree with
And grief is what i expect from you ;)

Back