• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

The 1.3 Turbo Battle####

This gonna be done for jae?
The main point is I think I am very worried about my ability to get this finished in time for JAE. well not the time which is of concern, but money. Its not going anywhere unless its mapped... and if i do get it all done, I dont think I can afford JAE lol

8aja4a5a4_zps5243d3d7.jpg

This will look very close indeed
lol I think it will turb out like that, the paint may be off :D no turning back then :p

caliper piston tends to bind against the piston seal so check em by screwing & unscrewing (not all the way out) the piston in/out of the bore.
it should only resist abit throughout the travel. if its like really tight, the piston wall might be corroded.

caliper handbrake cam mech also tends to seize from dried up grease. after checking the piston's not seized, place caliper in vice, measure the piston to caliper distance, grab the caliper lever arm bit with pliers or adjustable spanner and fully engage/disengage the arm. you should see the piston nudge out and retract back. measure the distance after operating the lever and it should have retracted back to exactly where it was otherwise the mechanism and/or piston might be seized.

pads got alot of meat left so just need to refresh/roughen their faces slightly from the rust/debris with sand paper on a flat mirror

discs - best replacing em with new straight clean ones tbh

yeah I was having a fiddle a moment a go. the caliper has been dry and exposed; the piston is corroded slightly :( quite a tough one.

haha very clever

I will tear apart and service the calipers, front and back. I want them to perform correctly.

They appear to return correctly.

Yeah the pads were suprisingly happy, bonus, less to spend out.

Yeah new disks all around me thinks.

BTW polly if I do make it, please take me out in your motor early. Last year I was so hanging I couldn't get in your car for fear of vomiting :D

BTW polly if I do make it, please take me out in your motor early. Last year I was so hanging I couldn't get in your car for fear of vomiting :D

course m8 next time we meet when the cars fixed n running. obviously won't be at PPC, that's guaranteed impossible but most probably at next JAE or whenever we're nearby

Like r reg said man. I am just working my arsed off to finish the project. A list is no use lol it changes and grows every 5 mins. I am just getting 'on'. When I get a chance I will write on up for you. Thinking about it... I don't want a list cause then I will be able to see how much j have to do lol

uploadfromtaptalk1368312415227.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1368312429023.jpg
ahhhh a clean workshop is next to godliness.

So I am done for the night wish I got more done.
uploadfromtaptalk1368312523362.jpg
should getting this stuff clean really take me this long.. At it since 10 odd.

Looking good there Chris, nice to see you got it done :) I'll bring Hannah over to make more tea soon eh?

Sent by umpalumpas on a very small horse.

So I am going to fess up, I made a mistake... being still limited with my knowledge of cars.. I decided to use WD40 on my calipers when cleaning them...the seals swelled :/ hate my stupid ways... but you will only do it once :D

haha ta mate :D

Whilst you are here, what type of grease do I need for the various locations on the calipers front and rear?

For the slide pins that sort if thing? I've just used copperslip to be honest mate, I'm sure others have just used regular good quality grease, so long as u don't slap too much on there shouldn't be a problem with it melting and getting where it shouldn't

I dare you to get a sticker along the lines of "You can't sink my turbo battleship" :p
Errr well you come up with a design and I will think about it. I will stencil it up and paint it on. I want the idea of a tank to the car, battleship works well.. Like the idea of battleship galactica. Or frigates corvettes and what not. Just military stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For the slide pins that sort if thing? I've just used copperslip to be honest mate, I'm sure others have just used regular good quality grease, so long as u don't slap too much on there shouldn't be a problem with it melting and getting where it shouldn't
Yeah and for behind the rear disk calliper handbrake arm... Stuff like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

usually silicone grease on the sliders dude, as copper slip doesnt like heat too much, wheres as silicone grease takes high temps so shouldnt stick so quickly

Back