super charger

Remove the water pump part of the clutch, attach the clutch assembly ( 2 pulleys on it)

The solid state pulley to run alternator ,and clutched pulley to power charger ;)

Remove the water pump part of the clutch, attach the clutch assembly ( 2 pulleys on it)

The solid state pulley to run alternator ,and clutched pulley to power charger ;)
You mean mod the VW water pump/eclutch assembly?

Its an unexplored avenue so I guess someone's gotta try it :)
I'm gonna move my alternator to the back. Have that and water pump off one belt. Leaving me both space at the front of the engine and on the crank pulley
Was going to do that before this idea came along but now I have a use for the spare crank belt spaces rather than lopping them off

Anothing thing to consider is the type of belt used. Alterbator etc use V-belts whereas sc's need a 5rib belt iirc... a v belt might not take the strain for long (as I think Frank alluded to in a previous post)

Anothing thing to consider is the type of belt used. Alterbator etc use V-belts whereas sc's need a 5rib belt iirc... a v belt might not take the strain for long (as I think Frank alluded to in a previous post)
aye, 6k belts on the mini,s eh :)

GAs dont have slots for V belts
CGs I dunno

Pretty sure both my belts are V's, was planning on moving all onto one like you, grind off the outer most pulley space and weld on a 3 rib belt pulley to run the sc

Pretty sure both my belts are V's, was planning on moving all onto one like you, grind off the outer most pulley space and weld on a 3 rib belt pulley to run the sc
I highly doubt it. GA16i was only engine to use a V belt. All others use 5 rib belts
and thats @ 2:1 ratio, if neil is planning a 4:1 ratio then 8 or 10k would be needed
It will depend on which s/c he uses in the end.
Need more info on the VW tsi system

I highly doubt it. GA16i was only engine to use a V belt. All others use 5 rib belts

It will depend on which s/c he uses in the end.
Need more info on the VW tsi system
Oops, you're right:
1387542392217.jpg

A 5pk should be sufficient for our application. They have the S/C runnng continously where ours will be turned off at approx 3.5k and less stress on the belt :)
thats why you need a wider belt tho :) 4:1 pulleys = less belt contact, the tsi is nearer to 2:1

VW-Golf-GT-Sport-TSI-Engine-Block-Ramspeed-Automotive-2.jpg

Says the one also staring in his engine bay :rolleyes:

I'm already a lost cause though :D

In fact i was wondering a few months ago how hard it'd be to join up two k11 engines to make an 8 cylinder + boost, you'd be forced to go rwd / modify the front end a bit but that's a minor detail. Again no good reason haha.

I'm already a lost cause though :D

In fact i was wondering a few months ago how hard it'd be to join up two k11 engines to make an 8 cylinder + boost, you'd be forced to go rwd / modify the front end a bit but that's a minor detail. Again no good reason haha.
Its surprisingly easy to do.
If you have an engine over each axle :)
The only problem is the gear linkage to a rear mounted engine

I took part in a twin engined saxo. 2 VTS engines. It was boosted too

Its surprisingly easy to do.
If you have an engine over each axle :)
The only problem is the gear linkage to a rear mounted engine

I took part in a twin engined saxo. 2 VTS engines. It was boosted too

I was thinking flywheel attached to second engines pulley, but that's for another day haha. Its been done with other engines no problem so all in all pretty easy minus space issues.

I was thinking flywheel attached to second engines pulley, but that's for another day haha. Its been done with other engines no problem so all in all pretty easy minus space issues.
I already have many ideas
Mount it to a GA16 box as its stronger.
Mount it all sideways in the middle. Use the 2 driveshafts to drive a diff each and have 4WD

just if you're geared to do 140 oit of the ga box and then you stick a (for example) 3:1 diff on the end of each driveshaft you'll be dropping your speed by a third eh
The diff we used must have been a 1:1 then
One rotation of the prop was 1 rotation at the driveshaft

sorry to resucitate a n old thread but iv considered a sc on my car in the future so as to avoid lots of expenses on NA mods just to go forced induction at a later date anyway ( talking after another year of research). iv done some calculations as follows and figure i could run an aisin amr500 at 6psi using a pulley ratio of 1.405184 as i believe this would be sufficient to dip my toe in the world of sc-ing.

ltrs/Min @ 0psi = (0.998 (engine capacity in liters) x 7300 (Max Engine RPM))/2 =3642.7
Boost Ratio = (6psi (Boost Pressure) + 14.7 (Atmospheric pressure))/14.7 (Atmospheric Pressure) = 1.408
Air required at boost =
36427 (Atmospheric pressure Air Requirement) x 1.408 (Boost Ratio) = 5128.9216 ltrs/min @ 6psi 7300rpm
5128.9216 ltrs/min (Air Requirement at 6psi Boost) / 0.5 (SC Capacity per Revolution) = air required at 6psi boost produced at 10,257.8432 rpm at super charger
Pully ratio = (10,257.8432 (SC RPM) / 7300 (Max Engine RPM) = 1.405184

can anyone more experienced than me confirm this? using similar calculations i have been able to assume a theoretical maximum boost pressure of 17.5psi using this super charger on a 2.1917808219 pully ratio, however i know that would be overkill on a cg10. that leaves room for more boost later if desired. obviously other upgrades to fueling etc would be nessesary.
any ideas welcome

Sort of but am too tired from trying to lower an aygo... @dinky dk can you add a few units and label the numbers a bit to make ot clearer? Can't see stuff like sc displacement per revolution etc so hard to make sense of it

Edited post now :). Notes are in blue brackets. hope thats easier to understand. iv been playing with these numbers on paper and in my head for 2 days so kinda forgot that i know what each number means but others might not lol.

The way I worked it out:
Engine capacity 1.0l.
4 cylinders so 2 intake strokes per RPM = 0.5l
Volumetric efficiency = 80% ( 0.8 )
0.8x0.5= 0.4l per revolution at atmospheric pressure (1 bar)
6psi gauge= 1.4bar actual
1.4 x 0.4l = 0.56l per revolution
Sc = 0.5l per revolution
0.56/0.5= 1.12 revolutions
1:1.12 pulley ratio

if the s/c is rated at 500cc/rev, then it needs to run at 1 x engine speed to achieve a VE of 100%, i think :)
edit, what he said ^ :)

Back