Upgrading from 1.0 ltr to 1.4 ltr best practice

Hi
We are fitting a 1.4 (1348cc) engine to replace the 1.0 ltr in my grandsons rally car. We have the complete 1.4 engine, gearbox and wiring loom which has a coil pack ignition system. It has been suggested that instead of putting the complete engine and wiring loom in, it would be better to remove the head and replace it with the 1.0 ltr head with distributor and put 1.3 ltr cams in.
What are your experts opinion to get the best performance for the lad.
We welcome your replies.
Bryn & Jacob

Jacob is entering the Heart of England Championship this year and the lowest cc class is 1400 so his little 1.0 ltr has no way of competing. As far as I know this modification is allowed.

what i mean is if he has to keep the engine stock, then i would fit the whole 1.4 kit.
but if he is allowed to modify the engine, then there are more options with the dizzy setup :)

We dont have to keep the 1.4 as it is but do you feel we can get more out of the engine if we exchange the heads?

mine is a CGA3 with a 1.0/1.3 head bryn, but you dont actually gain anything.
the 1.4 is rated @ 85 hp eh, and would probably make 80ish with a dizzy setup :)

the engine loom should be pretty straight forward eh, you would probably have to splice onto the steering column wires and fuel pump wires tho.
you would get the full 85hp with the more modern crank and cam sensors and coil over plug system eh

I would have thought that you would need the 1.4 ECU/a full standalone if you were swapping the whole lot.

Also, IIRC, the 1.4 cams do not have the notch to connect to the distributor (exhaust cam only???) but it was a few years ago I ripped one of these engines down.

Ta,

Good stuff - depending on the year of the Rally car and what ECU you use (standard 1.4, piggyback, standalone etc) you may run into some issues with NATS.

Any pictures of the car?

Ta,

Back