• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

SU carbed k10

Don't wanna be a killjoy but doing a blowthrough could end up costing 5x the cost of a drawthrough. If budget is no problem then go blowthrough for definite. :D Reason I was looking at drawthrough was cost, I reckoned on a build cost of maybe 200 quid, as I've said before I'm a tight arsed yorkshireman ;)

Don't wanna be a killjoy but doing a blowthrough could end up costing 5x the cost of a drawthrough. If budget is no problem then go blowthrough for definite. :D Reason I was looking at drawthrough was cost, I reckoned on a build cost of maybe 200 quid, as I've said before I'm a tight arsed yorkshireman ;)

id love to do draw thru simply because its so different, but the thoughts of explosions seems nasty , turboing is risky enough as it is , isn't intercooler and extra piping the only real added cost ? i can make plenum myself ?

You need to sort fuelling also, on boost enrichment etc. Metro turbo carb is rocking horse poo and priced accordingly. None of that with drawthrough. Guess I may have to get another k10 and do a drawthrough setup just because ;)

Yup ! If i manage to :p im sure i can pull a turbo from a breakers yard , now , with this set up , not needing carbon sealed , will turbos from diesel cars work ? I presume so ? Isnt pork uding the td04 turbo ?
Yea a td04 is a common turbo on subarus and saabs etc. They're a petrol turbo.
I prefer to avoid diesel turbos as their performance is limited. But something in my head is saying no dont use a diesel one :confused:

From years of playing with minis I'm fairly sure you can convert a normal HIFF44 to a turbo carb, I'm sure the only difference is a seal, either remove or insert can't remember which way around it is.

Damn! thanks ade,
Ade, has this well looked into before and knows draw thru is simpler , i suppose its a matter of budget!
best thing to do is go ahead with turbo and mani, and figure out the rest in the mean time!

Damn! thanks ade,
Ade, has this well looked into before and knows draw thru is simpler , i suppose its a matter of budget!
best thing to do is go ahead with turbo and mani, and figure out the rest in the mean time!

As I said, I was looking for cheapness and simplicity and drawthrough would have given me that but admittedly it's not for everybody! ;)

To prevent pooling use a swirl tank and a coarse inlet pipe to atomise fuel :)
Connecting swirl tank to fuel return incase of pooling
The atomising pre turbo is the best way

Or try to keep run lengths as short as possible, preferably with a slight fall ie carb higher than turbo
Carb will normally always be above the turbo. You'll still get pooling at low boost and cool smooth air.
Only slight but on a gradual increase through load

Yea carb and turbo.. same thing :p
It should atomise fuel into the air charge before meeting the turbo.
Any pooling can be returned. Whereas in the turbo you cant. Rather in a swirl tank than the turbo

Yea carb and turbo.. same thing :p
It should atomise fuel into the air charge before meeting the turbo.
Any pooling can be returned. Whereas in the turbo you cant. Rather in a swirl tank than the turbo
It might be (and probably is) me being dense but I don't see it. Doesn't the carb atomise the fuel/air? So wouldn't you want this atomised fuel air going into the turbo asap ie carb close to turbo with nothing in between?

It might be (and probably is) me being dense but I don't see it. Doesn't the carb atomise the fuel/air? So wouldn't you want this atomised fuel air going into the turbo asap ie carb close to turbo with nothing in between?

but with th carb being draw through does it not take longer to atomise than it would from an injector?

What you say makes perfect sense and you would.
But if we think about the turbo if its boosting out of one end at say 8 psi. Your inlet will be pulling air in at 8 psi. Carbs arent designed to atomise fuel at that vacuum so a small swirl tank will do what the carb can't :)
You still work it the same way ie close to and above to. After swirl tank its smooth pipe for speed.
I've no idea if I make sense

What you say makes perfect sense and you would.
But if we think about the turbo if its boosting out of one end at say 8 psi. Your inlet will be pulling air in at 8 psi. Carbs arent designed to atomise fuel at that vacuum so a small swirl tank will do what the carb can't :)
You still work it the same way ie close to and above to. After swirl tank its smooth pipe for speed.
I've no idea if I make sense

I can understand a swirl pot working for a liquid ie petrol, but not for a vapour. What would cause the atomisation? I am so not a mechanic btw so don't be too brutal with me, just having a little difficulty getting my old head around it :oops:

So supposing the swirl pot is needed, can i keep it up against the turbo so the turbo can still support carb ? Like such?
ysu4usuv.jpg

Back