Standard clutch on the turbo finally letting go.

Rob

Cosworth turbo'd 1.3
Not too bad to be honest, been running 7-10psi for about 5000 miles so i should have expected it.

Think i might just stick a new clutch in and sell it.

I love it and love how quick it is its just the fact if i want to see real decent power its gonna cost decent money. If i bought something like a 200sx i could get 3/400bhp without too much difficulty.

Not sure.

Rob, you running a 1ltr gearbox on a 1.3? am sure theres a performance clutch that can hold that power without it slipping so soon??

Cheers

J

Rob somehow i have a 190mm clutch, ive a feeling yours is 180mm. Mines has took 12.2psi lots including launching at crail, dont ask how i got one lol

Rob somehow i have a 190mm clutch, ive a feeling yours is 180mm. Mines has took 12.2psi lots including launching at crail, dont ask how i got one lol

Well i see 190mm ones on Ebay and on parts list but does the 190mm fit straight in?

I've a 3 paddle helix with uprated pressure plate and bearing if you interested? was on my previous set up but of no use to me now; PM if your interested

scopez, this Helix 3 paddle clutch, are these the ones that dont have a biting point, i.e. soons as you release the clutch pedal its off?

J

I once had a 3 pad 180mm helix ceramic clutch plate & PP from Matt Humphris and the engagement was quite smooth n light tbh, like standard.

Will post blog link in abit.

pollyp, is this clutch for the 1ltr gearbox thou? cos thats my running gear for my 1.3 engine, am looking to upgrade the clutch if i can to cater for the turbo etc!!

Cheers

J

pollyp, is this clutch for the 1ltr gearbox thou? cos thats my running gear for my 1.3 engine, am looking to upgrade the clutch if i can to cater for the turbo etc!!

Cheers

J

dunno. frank may be able to clarify if ur 1L flywheel/input shaft is the same as the 1.3L

my thin JUN flywheel and incorrectly bedded 3pad helix clutch couldn't handle too much heat and eventually glazed once I fed 160ftlb to it on trackdays and a dragstrip.

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-19#post-447816

imo if you've ever had a thought u may potentially aim for that much torque in future, tis a good idea to get the biggest clutch you can afford "once", may require flywheel machining to fit, to at least future-proof it rather than wasting money constantly upgrading a weak clutch when u find it couldn't handle future power upgrades later on.

dunno. frank may be able to clarify if ur 1L flywheel/input shaft is the same as the 1.3L

yes i,ve already explained to J that the little 160mm clutch wont hold, so a hybrid clutch (bigger plate fitted to the smaller spline) or 1.3 g/box and all the running gear are the only options really

Hi pollyp, thanks for that!! and with the hybrid clutch, what can be done? how do i make this, is it a 1.3 clutch with the 1ltr spline rivited in? not sure if im right in what im saying,

id rather not go down the 1.3 gearbox route as ill need to get the gearbox, drive shafts, hubs etc which is just more money ontop of the turbo conversion im planning! i was lucky to get hold of this 1ltr gearbox which had only 25000 miles on when i had my 1ltr engine but then i upgraded to a 1.3 engine and just retained the gearbox and flywheel etc!!

Are there any links to the hybird clutch on what to do and how to do it?

Cheers

J

Are there any links to the hybird clutch on what to do and how to do it?

J
like i said J, pic,s in my cisco blogs :rolleyes: the LUK 160mm and 180mm clutches have the same cushdrive mounting (the springs) so you remove the 4 rivets and swap them over :)

clutches.jpg

hi frank, so i will need a 1.3 clutch and the springs and the sline shaft from the 1.ltr clutch over to the 1.3 clutch? what about the flywheel? would i need to modify that? or left as it is?

cheers

J

hi frank, so i will need a 1.3 clutch and the springs and the sline shaft from the 1.ltr clutch over to the 1.3 clutch? what about the flywheel? would i need to modify that? or left as it is?

cheers

J
the 160mm pressure plate has a face dia of 170mm J, so you can either bevel the outer edge like mine, so that you have a friction face of 180mm against the f/w, and a friction face of 170mm against the pressure plate.
or else get a bigger 180mm pressure plate and redrill the f/w pcd

hi frank, loool, this is way over my head now!! when you mean by bevel out the edge what do you mean?

ill be using 1.3 clutch with the 1.ltr spline and spring riveted, the pressure plate is a 1.3 aswell, which will then bolt on to the 1ltr flywheel which i will nee to re-drill to fit the clutch on to?

is that right?

cheers

J

yeh mate dont confuse it with spline size, forget that and think the 1.3 pressure plate clutch flywheel side of things

loool, blooody hell.. ok lol im lost on this.... what i have understood is that with the 1.3 clutch i have to fit the 1.ltr spline from the 1ltr clutch?

using the 1.3 pressureplate... then...... im lost... i understand that this 1.3 clutch wont fit to the flywheel being small and the fitment am i right, if so or not where do i go from then.... ill definetly need wet nursing from here. i guess its like step by step on this.....o_O

Cheers

J

Back