CLUTCH OR BELT?

Been doing quite a bit of Motorway driving lately which I never normally do day-to-day. Not huge distances, maybe max of like 14-20 miles each way? Anyway, noticed today that the car was making a squeeling noise which I've never noticed before?

First did it while I was doing a full lock turn in a car park, obv quite low speed. Then started doing it on the motorway at various speeds. Not a constant thing mind, done it maybe four or five times? The car was loaded today, but only with my tool bag and a few bits, and I haven't got any back seats or owt so theres no real weight increase?

Obv only started today so haven't had much investigation time to see what causes it relating to conditions/driving. I was worried at first it could be the clutch slipping but then I thought perhaps it could be a belt needs replacing/tensioning?

From what I know at minute it happens with no clutch operation, so can't link it to clutch, and doesn't seem to have any effect on power/speed?

What do you think I'm looking at, clutch or belt and what do you think the damage to the wallets gonna be?

Stick yer head in and have a listen :p,

Idk, what i tend to do when i look for squeeks (Well if its belt related) i'l jet alittle bit of wd40 (Not a lot though) onto the inner side of the belt driver (I dont know what its called) just to stop it squeeking for like a minute :D (But dont get any on the belts!!)

Ahahahah! This is gonna be slow sorry. How would I do that, and how do I know which belt it is?

Ha, question chess!

Look on the drivers side of the engine and you'll see the black belt running around the pullies, check if the noise is coming from there.

If so you'll see the tensioner the belt runs around, either tighten that or replace the belt and tighten it.

yea it is the belt because if it was the clutch then you would have problem with the shifting :) you need a torque rench whcih allows you to tightin it up :)

Give your belts a tug and see if they feel slack, i wouldnt advise doing it whilst your engine is running though :p thats why they squeal usually, to tighten them up there is an adjuster bolt on top of the alternator (pretty easy to find, would be easier to describe if i had a photo though) and there is another adjuster bolt on the idling pulley so if take your drivers side wheel off then the plastic arch lining and stick your head under you should see an idling pulley which also has an adjuster bolt on, so just have a go at tightening them both up, it may solve it, if not get new belts?

Back