Stainless exhaust studs

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Right, today I changed the exhaust manifold back to standard for the MOT but a couple of my studs are a bit shagged! So I would like to change them for stainless studs and nuts to keep them looking good!
Any idea where you can get these from? I'm thinking Matt Humphris would probably do some?
Joe

Won't they corrode badly in the head? I didn't think you could mix stainless and non-stainless

Oh wait, no i'm an idiot the head is ally intit lol. What size are the standard studs? i'll see what I can turn up

you can knock the standard studs out with a hammer....and just replace them with stianless nut and bolts...

an exhuast place or motorfactors could supply you with stianless bolts and nuts.

Don't they need unscrewing from the head?

You are talking bout the studs in the head and not in the flange aren't you?

Don't they need unscrewing from the head?

You are talking bout the studs in the head and not in the flange aren't you?

the head studs can be unscrewed out..

and the flange ones can be knocked out. was abit confused on witch studs he was talking about lol.

You have bolts on the joints and studs on the head! there is no where else on the exhaust where you would have studs.

You have bolts on the joints and studs on the head! there is no where else on the exhaust where you would have studs.

if its aa standard exhaust you will have studs on every flange and the block...if its an aftermarlet exhaust you will have nuts and bolts on the flanges and studs on the block...iam coonfused what eexhaust you are wanting them for hence why i got mixxed up...

its easier to replace them with stinaless nuts and bolts as you have to knock out the studs to replace them with stianless ones anyway...its gonna be so much easier to find stianless nuts and bolts than it is stianless studs....

if its aa standard exhaust you will have studs on every flange and the block...if its an aftermarlet exhaust you will have nuts and bolts on the flanges and studs on the block...iam coonfused what eexhaust you are wanting them for hence why i got mixxed up...

its easier to replace them with stinaless nuts and bolts as you have to knock out the studs to replace them with stianless ones anyway...its gonna be so much easier to find stianless nuts and bolts than it is stianless studs....

on standard it has studs in the head, and bolts on the downpipe and studs on the second cat.
on my stainless ones (i want these for when i change back) I have bolts throughout.
you can't knock the studs out, you have to lock 2 nuts onto the stud and spin them out, how ever i still need to use studs as i can not get bolts in with the design of my manifold, (not enough space, only just enough to get the nuts on.

I will fit stainless nuts and bolts through the rest of the system but that bit is easy.

if you remove the studs could bolts not be used instead? Surely all you need then is the thread size..

nope, won't fit.

yes they are the studs i am talking about, as the rest of my system is custom.

how do you mean bolt's won't fit?

Not that I don't believe you, I just can't picture the problem!

the pipes cover where you would put a bolt through, you can only just fit a nut in the gap, and that is fiddly.

difficult to explain but this is like a side view, where the pipe curves down there is not enough gap to get a bolt in.

Attachments

• flange.jpg
    flange.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 322
Is stainless not a lot harder than mild, so don't you risk mullering the threads?

Also, can you not 'persuade' the bolt through the hole on the mani flange with it off the car and then line it up, or will it physically not fit?

Craig

no dont use bolts in a alloy head they are studs for a reason
bolts tend to pull the thread out of the head as the engine moves
a stud will have the whole thead inserted before force is applied

Is stainless not a lot harder than mild, so don't you risk mullering the threads?

Also, can you not 'persuade' the bolt through the hole on the mani flange with it off the car and then line it up, or will it physically not fit?

Craig

i don't get what you mean about mullering the threads? its not about how hard it is just about it corroding.

And no a bolt won't go through at all.

cause i'm not happy with the condition of the studs themselves, 1 of them has snapped before and 1 other has a thread which i knackered so i want to replace the lot.

it may be possible just to get long bolts and cut the ends off,

Avory knight and bowlers *sp in bath will have something, but actual studs where half way up the thread is an unthreaded bit, might not be so easy to find, but they are your best bet

i don't get what you mean about mullering the threads? its not about how hard it is just about it corroding.

And no a bolt won't go through at all.

As in stripping it so that you can't get anything in again - the ally in the heads is very soft, if you can't get the bolt in nicely, a super hard bolt will just make it worse.

i got an idea mate ;)

instead of having holes, what about cuts?

so cut towards the hole from the edge of the manifold, the hole then becomes a slot. this will aid heat disipatioin anyway, but it would mean you could slide in some stainless bolts easy enough,

it could be done fairly easy if the manni is in a vice and you attack it slowly with an angle grinder,

hmmm dunno if i like the idea of going at my few hundred quids worth of exhaust with a grinder! I would rather just get some new studs lol

huh? is something is corroded then the material is then missing, I have tap and die's and have die'd them but a couple of the threads are knackered.

i agree with nex, put stainless hex bolts in the (awkward to access) lower holes (1/2 inserted), slot the lower holes in the manifold, hook the manifold onto those lower bolts, then fit the upper bolts :)

its easy this, im not sure why everyones making it so complicated.

screw 2 nuts onto the stud, lock them against eachother then the studs will screw out of the head.

go down any fasteners place and but some stainless steel M8 bolts just longer than the studs you just took out,

cut the thread off the bolt so its the same length as the studs, actuall perhaps make them a little bit longer 5mm or something should do.

once you have the thread off the bolts, file the burr of the cut end,

get 2 nuts and wind them on the non cut end lock them together then wind the cut end of the thread into the head,

remove the nuts and repeat 7 more times,

then you will have 8 shiney stainless steel studs in your head.

simple

dunno mate, never seen them, but on the other hand never lookde for them, a machine shop would be able to do them, afterall its onlt a piece of 8mm bar tapped at both ends, but id say they might charge you quite a bit for them.

at last! lol Thats the sort of thing i was thinking, just wondered if you could get a proper set of studs as I need them before i take it apart again.

Hmmm

it may be possible just to get long bolts and cut the ends off,

Avory knight and bowlers *sp in bath will have something, but actual studs where half way up the thread is an unthreaded bit, might not be so easy to find, but they are your best bet

notice thats what i said?

If your insistant on matching the original ones, then your bets bet (well only really) would be custom, machine shop etc, anyone got one out that they could measure, might give it a bash on me lathe,

Back