Sr20 conversion?

Anyone done an sr20 conversion im looking at doing one and want to know how much its gonna cost
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412961782.540739.jpg

From what i was told the amount of hassel isnt worth the thrill!! If you were to turboed a 1.3 you will get good power all round which probably reach the same if not more power.. This is what a few people said to me which is why i botheed to go boost way!!

J

For a time vs money approach a turbo'd cg will trump an SR20 :)
SRs made 150hp new some more some less (I'm expecting the SR brigade to say but the srdet this and the n1 this, not interested, were looking at the generic and commonly used primera SR)
That said they make much less torque 110/120 iirc.
A turbo cg will make 150 in both of those abd it'll be a dyno run so a full 150 not a "150 when new" (the newer SRs are now 12years old)

similar outputs eh (CG @ 10 psi) the biggest deterrent for an SR personally is the lack of space/inaccessibility when working in the engine bay.
and any weight or handling effects too

it is possible you need, your best option is to buy a half car from japan, with wiring and ecu and gearbox, and you would need to shorten the drive shafts to make it work, use the engine out of an sunny gtir, from ebay i could get a hafcar deliver at my local hardbor for 25.000 nok and i wil considder that pritty cheap, you will also need to mowe the engine mounts a little forward and the middle gearbox/engine mount backwards i am going to do this so i can make a thread on it in the summer

Gtir engine will not fit the fwd gearbox needed for the conversion.

This last post is horse manure.

Your best option is to try to find one already converted.

Second option is, learn to weld, have a fully equipped garage and lots of time.
Get a rear end smash primera or almera gti and strip it. Sell off everything from the bulkhead back.

Take your cg13 out and sell it.

To do it 100% you'll be best off getting shafts fabricated rather than cut n shut.

Chassis legs will need either notching or removing and space framing.

Electric water pump is almost always the best option for clearance.

If you want to run the sr20det intake setup and turbo, you'd be best boxing to firewall too.

Needs custom radiator, custom lower mounts, custom loom, custom gear linkages, custom exhaust etc etc.

Big job and unless you're building little bandit, not really worth it.

If you just want some extra grunt..... The Ga16 is an easier swap, can be turbocharged also and is cheaper.

Or, like a few have said, turbo the cg13de.

A reliable cg13 turbo with 130-150bhp can be had for £2k

You'll NEED.... Custom manifold, suitable turbo, intercooler and piping, moved radiator, downpipe and exhaust, stronger clutch, injectors, map sensor, throttle body with tps, wideband lambda kit, ecu capable of running it, mapping sessions etc.

Neither is easy or cheap.

The chassis leg will need notching or cutting to clear the block. Unless you want to have the block banging on the chassis?

Or don't cut it or notch it and fit solid engine mounts I really don't care lol

Cutting and notching to me is probably the worst idea, your reducing the integrity of the chassis.

Moving the engine mounts is safer and a lot easier aswell

You aren't reading my post..... The engine doesn't fit in the bay between the two chassis legs.

The engine mounts are neither here nor there, the could be on the roof, but the chassis isn't wide enough.... It needs notching or cutting and a new piece welding in to strengthen it.

I'm not suggesting just lopping lumps out,

The fact that you are questioning this is an indication you're guessing..

Yes he did. I saw it. I lived right around the corner from him. And Glen. Both of whom have done the conversion.

It's on the gearbox side. There's no getting round it.

Just take it as gospel.

Just to clear this up, as above he said its not big but needed. Its actually not needed it could have been left but for that little bit or peace of mind and clearanve me and glen have done it. It could have been bent over slightly but that would have look like damage. Its about 75mm x 10-15mm out of a small lip not the box section of the chassis leg! Im surprised nobody has slated me chopping half the bulkhead out FFS! And antony youve not seen my car stop lying.

Not the best of pics but you can see a part of it to the left. If anyone wants a full pic ill happily provide one next time im at the car. I have nothing to hide

Last edited:
I saw glens, when he was fitting his exhaust. And the area was needed there too.

My post said I'd seen the mod done, didn't mean I've seen your car but I've seen that bit cut out on an sr20 micra.

That's why I mentioned Glen.

I saw glens, when he was fitting his exhaust. And the area was needed there too.

My post said I'd seen the mod done, didn't mean I've seen your car but I've seen that bit cut out on an sr20 micra.

That's why I mentioned Glen.

Stani did you need to cut yours?

Yes he did, i saw it....

Cyas

Ok so I got mixed up between yours and glens, my apologies, still needs doing though.

Can't deny it's a tight old squeeze.

Back