Spring compressor alternatives.

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
I don't know how frowned apon this is.
I don't have access to compressors for a good few weeks and i'm getting impatient for the lows.
Anything i can use instead?
I'm also assuming i don't need to remove the spring from the strut to cut it.

I don't know how frowned apon this is.
I don't have access to compressors for a good few weeks and i'm getting impatient for the lows.
Anything i can use instead?
I'm also assuming i don't need to remove the spring from the strut to cut it.
I would personally. but it is not entirely needed.
could always use some really tough rope and wind it up with a spanner but you will struggle without compressors.
here is my warning:
Using%20While%20Stupid.jpg

I'm not sure how easy my struts will be to completely remove that's all, may have some compressors now anyway, impatience to lower the damn thing.

Removal from the struts is optional, but compressing them so that the cut end is free is pretty much compulsary. Though I have seen it done without any compresion. I was a LONG way away!

£9 an hour? I wish haha.
I've also seen the cut on the struts and run the #### away method.
How low will 1 coil take me and how many would i need for a 50-60mm drop?

£9 an hour? I wish haha.
I've also seen the cut on the struts and run the #### away method.
How low will 1 coil take me and how many would i need for a 50-60mm drop?
i doubt if 1 coil will drop it atall davey, and you would probably need to remove about 4 coils to drop it 50-60mm (which will probably leave the spring insecure when jacked up :eek:)

can't remember how many we took off mine. 2 perhaps? hmmm was a little lower but could of been better. if you have enough time work your way down coil by coil rather than over doing it than needing new springs lol

one way to remove the front spring without a compressor is to remove the strut top damper shaft nut (may wanna loosen the wheelnuts to take the wheel off later) then jack the body up. remove wheel, unbolt strut from hub to take out spring more easily.

reinstalling is reverse but abit tricker cos ya align the strut & spring onto the strut top support.

you could jack it up then jack the hub up until the spring is fully compressed and wrap the spring at top and bottom with that steel wire stuff and let the jack back down off the hub. i did this with an astra when i couldn't find my compressors it worked for me but just be bloody careful tho if the steel wire slips or lets go your fingers WILL fall off lol

Back