K11, Fitting rear shocks/springs: how do you get the axle to drop / spring out?

SteveG

Intake n exhaust almost done, suspension next :)
I'm in the middle of swapping out the shocks and springs to Corsa Bs and HOL 60mm. I've got the right side shock out and not really sure how to get the spring out? If I press down on the axle/hub it springs back up?

I'm going to take the left shock out and see if the axle drops any more. I can see the spring, er, top cup thing that looks like it's bolted with two bolts on the side, but not sure if it's wise to just undo these. Spring doesn't seem to be under much pressure, like I can squeeze it a bit with my hands. I've got spring compressors, but they seem too long (the screw part) to be much use with the spring in situ.

Not sure where I've put my Haynes manual so thought I'd post here in case I can't work it out by bungling around / guessing...

Sounds like a plan Frank, I do have the factory issue scissor jack to have a go :)

Har de har, lol... I did get the shocks out, but the axle didn't drop enough... scissor jack pushed it down enough, nice one Frank

Right, next stumbling block: removing the stock panhard rod...

The left/chassis side I've got the nut off and the bolt is sort of halfway out, I can hammer-tap it through with a smaller bolt so that's alright

The problem is the right side.. Finally got the nut off and it's like the rubber is stuck to the metal collar or w/e it is on the bolt. Is it just brute force to get the panhard rod rubber off the collar bit?

Gonna go grind down the second Corsa B shock while the panhard rod bush/collar/rubber thing soaks a bit

i usually refit that offside p/rod nut (without the washer) and then lever the rod off the bush steve, then grind the side of the bush down so that it splits open (some pics on here somewhere)

Cheers for the pointer Frank, I did see the thread with the bush/grind/wafer-thin/chisel method mentioned... someone else said Stilsons and heat... was wondering if those were just last resorts and there was a normal way. The grinding method sounds good. But, anyway, I couldn't really figure out a good way to lever the rod off the bush. I thought maybe a versa bar might get it from behind, but I couldn't really wiggle it in. Everything else I tried didn't really seem to be the right size/shape to get a firm push going. How do you normally lever it off?

Well, anyway, I ran out of time and ran out of daylight lol. I achieved some of the stuff I set out to do today: fitted HOL rear springs and the KYB Excel-G Corsa B shocks.

The Nodspeed panhard rod will have to wait til another weekend I reckon when I can be arsed messing about with getting the old one off!

I should be able to swap out the springs of the KYB Excel-G fronts pretty easy. Fitted them only a few weeks ago, so just have to get em off and set the spring compressors on em :)

Thanks again for the help Frank, much appreciated.

just noticed this is in K10... bah! lol

anyway, any pointers on levering the panhard rod off the lower side gladly welcome :)

just noticed this is in K10... bah! lol

anyway, any pointers on levering the panhard rod off the lower side gladly welcome :)
I cut a slot in mine and prized it off the rubber bush. I then cut all the rubber off to reveal the metal sleeve that had seized to the mounting. I had sprayed that bush for a week prior with wd40. I then grabbed it with molegrips and it eventually came off with a bit of force.

After taking the locknut and rubber washer off the offside/lower end of the panhard rod, I cut away the rubber flange part that was over the panhard rod, and then sprayed a generous amount of oil in the there. I used a lump hammer head behind the panhard rod as a fulcrum and pushed the other (disconnected) end towards the front with my foot while holding the panhard rod near the fulcrum to avoid it springing off into my face!

With several foot pushes, it came off a bit at a time and then I cut off the remaining rubber as much as I could. The metal bush part was really seized, so I used an angle grinder to flatten down the sides until it was just through and then broke bits off with a hammer and old screwdriver. Near the end of this effort it eventually span freely and I levered off the remaining part with a mini crowbar.

Fitting the Nodspeed panhard rod was a doddle once I forced my brain to concentrate on which side had the reverse threads! Very happy now and all nice and equidistant on the rear wheels now :)

Back