Lovell spring height

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Hey guys

Does anyone know the free spring height of the blue Lovell springs that nsm sells? I have them and due to ride comfort and creaks for my daily, I'm considering putting some king lows or standards in; but I need to know the spring height to compare.

I feel like they are superlows dropping the car around 60 mm front and back? If so I'll go for king lows to raise the car 30mm and give back some suspension travel.

Or should I leave the springs as is and change the rims from 15" 195-50 back to some 13" with more rubber?

Any info/advice appreciated.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
I've been on www.lovellsauto.com.au and it seems that their springs for the micra are only 'sport low' - 25-40mm lowering. This means they're similar to King Springs Lowered Micra springs.

The thing is, the travel seems to be non existant. Going over anything can be uncomfortable and Australian bumpy roads/highways are torture. I'm sure you've all been there when screws start literally falling out of your dash cluster surrounding fascia...

Will going to some jellybean wheels with more rubber help? How much would my cornering suffer if I swapped to 13x7 rims with loads more rubber?

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Frank,

kyb shocks, tyre pressure 30psi front and back.

Out of curiosity (because I'm about to do this tomorrow) is there any reason I shouldn't use a silicon 90degree bend from my throttle body to start a diy air intake?

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
the shocks seem to be the only range carried by anyone for micras in australia. I just had a look at a spare new set I have laying around; funnily enough the front kyb excel shocks are made in japan and the rear kyb excel shocks are made in thailand... pointless but interesting.

I gotta figure I've done in the shocks because a 30mm'ish drop which I assume I have shouldn't affect my ride so much should it? In any case I'll have a look this weekend and possibly replace the shocks all round.

Will also put in my diy intake. Whilst I'm of the mind that air intakes are negligible (a la mightymods.com.au point of view with data to back it up), I'd like to make my own mind up about it. When I get some shop time guaranteed I'll install my emanage blue and have them guide/backseat drive my tuning via laptop.

BEFORE (2.5" zorst, hi flow cat, hurricane headers) & AFTER (DIY larger intake, emanage blue) dyno runs will be done and the truth will be uploaded :D

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
shocks should dampen the same at any height really eh, i would try a test run with the rear shocks removed, you will probably find the ride is mega soft then (albeit very wallowy )
and the dyno results will be interesting :)

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Frank,

Helping a mate change his toyota ae92 springs from superlow back to standards; I realised I don't have any rubber dampeners on the top or bottom of my springs. You know the ones for the bottom and top cap of the shocks.

This is also annoying because everything echoes in the wheel well instead of being suppressed a bit. I'm already having regrets not just buying another coil over setup for my daily. New springs and shocks are around 600 so whats another 400 to upgrade :D

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Tinky,

cheers for that info - I suppose I'll call Nissan parts and some oem warehouses about the rubber spring caps. A quick google search brings up nothing at all.

Does anyone have these lying around due to a coilover conversion perhaps??? If so, I'll buy them.

CMF_fuzzy-hair-man

» CMF Member
Pierce WROTE:

"Fuzzy hair man if ur serious then name ur price :)

Let me see what sort of a PITA it is to get them out and I'll go from there, any other standard sort of bits you want? springs? shocks? etc.

I will be up in Armidale where the car is in the next couple of days so I'll have a look then.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
The 90* bend needs 2 inches taken off one end for strut support bar clearance. I figure I'll have it turned to the belt side of the engine and position it around the engine with the pod nestled in the clearance near the horn.

I'd buy some heat shield crap to wrap it in but honestly in such a small bay it's not going to do anything. For everyone that is pro standard airbox and standard air intake plastic thingy though here's some food for thought; I just drove 30km home doing 100km/h all the way and popped the hood. The standard plastic intake was just as warm as the ambient temp of the bay. Heat soak is unavoidable in such a small bay so that argument doesn't mean **** to me ;D

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Tinky,

Thanks for that - so it seems that there is only a top rubber seat, no bottom rubber seat. How unusual nissan, most cars have a top rubber cap and a bottom rubber seat.

Rudy, win7 here and no probs mate, what browser do you use? I'm using firefox.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Cheers tinky,

That does explain the noise somewhat then when going over bumps that lift the front off the ground (wannabe rally driver here). the struts must fully expand with no weight on them in the air, giving a little wiggly looseness to the lowered springs, making the clunk noises I get. The springs aren't sagged either I sized them up and they match the blue lovells I took off my project car.

EDIT - Though I should note that the featherweight rear lifts off the ground more often than the front. So many annoying creaks, rattles and cannon exhaust vibration sounds I have to work on for my sanity.

BTW - anyone after lovells rears, I have a 2nd hand set for sale, make your offer :D

Back