sound limmit

micras69

Deactivated Account
does anyone know the sound limmit for a exhaust? was stop today about it beeing "a bit on the loud side"

dont know how they would mesure it and how they can moan about a k11 but not top end perfomance cars that have full systems :/

Well in AUS they typically refer to 85dBA being the standard limit but I don't know the measurement criteria. As a bit of info we measured 91dBA static, measured at 0.5m, 45deg from the exhaust at 4800rpm.

Martin!

im not surprised you got stopped haha! i guess your talking about your green k11 its loud as hell!!

but no mate i think its a grey area about how loud a car is tbh

all i know is.. my k11 with a janspeed mani and straght though no silcers wasnt to nice on my ear holes, nevermind a copers

The law says your exhaust must be the same as a similar car with a standard exhaust in reasonable condition. Basically, just about every aftermarket exhaust is technically illegal.

Apart from mine, I have changed it so it's just as quiet (tested with a Db meter) but with a sportier tone.

from what i have heard its totally down to the MOTers descretion, if the police stop you, you can show them the MOT and say that these guys said its ok.

from what i have heard its totally down to the MOTers descretion, if the police stop you, you can show them the MOT and say that these guys said its ok.

But as most traffic police will tell you, an MOT certificate is only an indication of the vehicles roadworthiness on the day of the test.

My tester always puts mine down as an advisory to cover himself.

But as most traffic police will tell you, an MOT certificate is only an indication of the vehicles roadworthiness on the day of the test.

True... See I always thought it was 90db

True... See I always thought it was 90db

The exhaust must record a decibel level not exceeding 101 db(A).

This level will be recorded at the height of the exhaust or 200mm from ground level which ever is greater, placed 500mm away from the exhaust outlet at a 45 degree angle to said outlet.

The engine will be run at a speed between two thirds and three quarters of it’s maximum to achieve the recording.

but they are trying to bring in that the exhaust noise has to be as quiet a standard below 2500rpm this may not come into affect bnut its been tryed for

Pages of this discussion here on Pistonheads.

General consensus seems to be that if your car is louder than standard then it is illegal. This ilegality is legally measured by the Officer concerned, in a situation such as yours micras, with the scientific and well calibrated application of his opinion.

i got an exhaust switch ready for my micra, can change between backboxes at the push of a button :D or as i plan to do it, switch to nothing at all other than an open pipe to the side of the car, and have the switch change in time with the throttle so if i boot it, it will roar, if i push it a little bit it goes like normal

Round here the police don't bother you if you cruise by with a noisy exhaust, but if you are wheelspinning and hitting the limiter in every gear they will pull you and use your exhaust as an excuse.

Were you driving like a knob at the time?

blake yea im on about the rat k11 lol , it is quight loud isnt it but sounds mint, as you have seen it spits flames very easy and gives an ear bleeding pop in every fast gear shift :D

its a 2" strate through system to the back box that i made myself, it does grumble on idle but is fine if you drive normal obviously you can hear it but it realy does go wild if you put your foot down. to be honist i dont know if i was booting it when he stoped me, i just pulled onto my drive and he was right behind me :O god knows where he came from he just asked if it was ment to be like that and told me to calm down in the car.

Back