2003 Nissan Micra 1.4 SVE Engine Grinding Sound

Hello All,

I have a Nissan Micra K12 1.4 SVE. I noticed it had been using oil so made sure to keep it topped up, though after a trip to a mechanic it appeared to remain fairly level.

The last time I checked it was about 3 or 4 days ago and it had a good amount of oil in it. After doing around 150 miles of driving, a strange grinding slash rattly sound occured which is worse when the A/C is on.

I rechecked the oil and found it OFF THE STICK, so I put about a pint or so of oil which I always keep with the car into it and brought it back to mid way on the gauge on the stick.

After seeing the stick dry, my heart sank and my paranoia is high, however experience bottom end failure first hand, I know its a loud pronounced knocking which wont go away for anybodies business.

It sounds like its coming from around the top end and is like a rattley grindy sound and it can't be heard inside the car, only from the outside. Its very hard to tell where its coming from as its reverberated around the engine bay.

I have had no engine warning lights including oil pressure lights or engine management lights and Ive no idea about the engine temperature, as for some ridiculous reason the car has no Water Temp Gauge. The sound seems to be more audible at mid revs and is sort of a tappy, grindy sound which is not a knocking in time with the engine, however as I've already said it does seem to get worse with revs but backs off at lower revs.

I know big ends would be obvious and the engine would run like a pig, whereas this runs very well and is very quiet at cruising speed.

I am absolutely terrified I have cooked something, I'm usually on top of maintenance but this has dropped a fair old bit of oil, a scary amount. it doesn't feel stiff or hard to drive either, and seems to do it with the clutch in or out.

Any Ideas anyone?

Back