soon to be back on the road, but after a year...

Woo next month my K11 will be back on the road I stopped driving it coz of insurance but now I can afford it so it will be back to the road, only problem I've got is I need some hints and tips on what to do to get it MOT ready its been stationary for 1 year I have been starting it up and running the engine every week to ensure it all still works what should I be wary of and what should I check before I send it for its MOT?

Not sure what you can do beforehand.

But what I do years ago was book my car in for an MOT and if it failed, just work on what it failed on, if not then happy days.

I guess check for any rot on the sills, floor pans, crossmember. Give it a good run before MOT as well.

have you got a haynes manual? or google pre mot checks and hints and see what that throws up :D

the easy bits, check all lights, make shure the fluids are checked and topped up, check tyres, make sure the brakes are free. check all seat belts work and are not frayed. give the car a good run before you take it for mot so the engine is nice and warm.

Rust and more Rust lol :p

All hoop says, micra keep quite well when left standing a while, only notable issue after 7 odd months was that the CV boots ended up cracking.

hmm wel im hoping its fine it passed the mots before it with no faults and by the looks of the records i have no advisorys either which is odd but i ent complaining it was run for about 1 month when i got it just a small bit but then it was parked in ther front garden i kept cleaning it and running it and stuff and i allways made sure things worked liek lights idicators and stuff the only problem i have is a nail in my right side tyre at the front i have a full sized spare so i cant fail on not having a spare can i ?

mot law is very strange. i have had fails for a flat spare, but if you dont have one its fine. also had fails for missing wheel bolts/nuts but if you have wheel trims or caps covering them they are not allowed to take them off to check haha. you can also have no headlights aslong as the car does not get used at night!!

as the guys said above, rust is the normal mot failiure. front crossmember and sills. cv boots are a quick check, and also a common fail.

yer i read my haynes manual that i got the other day said what things to check after certain months lol seeing as a oil change hasnt been done on this car since i bought it about year and a half ago and probably hasnt had one before i bought it i think that i should give it one lmao :p

thanks guys, onto rust yes obviously my 1996 micra has rust but how do i know if its too much shud i just poke it with a screwdriver and if it falls to pieces it feked?

ok guys im now worried i just pulled up all the mot records for this car i have and it has failed before and not little fails either its got me worried bad style let me show u some of the things its failed on in the past.

Test class:
IV
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate
Nearside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
Nearside Front Front brake binding (3.7.A.2a)
Nearside Front suspension has a suspension lower ball joint securing nut not locked (2.5.B.1a)
Offside Front suspension has a suspension lower ball joint securing nut not locked (2.5.B.1a)
Advisory Notice issued
Rear Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
Rear sills have had mojor welding repairs
Front crossmember has heavy corrosion

Front crossmember Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering (6.1.A.1)
Nearside outer sill Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)
Offside outer sill Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)
Offside Front floor/sill Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
No Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)
Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)
Nearside Front Direction indicator incorrect colour (1.4.A.2f)
Offside Front Direction indicator incorrect colour (1.4.A.2f)
No Advisory Notice issued

now obviously it passed its other 2 mots after this with no faults and no advisorys but should i now be worried that this has had all these problems before or does the fact its passed it twice now afterwards mean that all these problems must have been fixed?

yer im preety much thinking this car isnt going to pass :p excessive corosion on basically VERY main parts i dont see this car passing this is gonna cost me a bomb lmfao :p

Back