Something interesting..

Why would you want a turbo charger at the back of the car when:
1. They look better in the engine bay
2. They will perform better in an engine bay.
3. There's not really anywhere to mount an intercooler.
4. The charge carrier will be long and may produce quite a bit of lag.
5. No decent cold air feed from under the car.
6. Crap could be sucked in off the road if aire feed was mounted near the turbo.
7. NO!!!!!! JUST NO!!!!!!

Ollie, I need your advice on something...I'm thinking about putting a turbo charger in the back of my car...

;)

Ollie, I need your advice on something...I'm thinking about putting a turbo charger in the back of my car...

;)

I've already had a turbocharger in the back of my car. Albeit it was connected to an RS Turbo engine.

254546d874ca445d6.jpg

That's proly why:

1. They look better in the engine bay
2. They will perform better in an engine bay.
3. There's not really anywhere to mount an intercooler.
4. The charge carrier will be long and may produce quite a bit of lag.
5. No decent cold air feed from under the car.
6. Crap could be sucked in off the road if aire feed was mounted near the turbo.
7. NO!!!!!! JUST NO!!!!!!

Hahaha!! sorry for re-post, I never noticed :)

Well, I see you're a fan Ollie!!!

Something different tho, which is always good to see!

Who needs an intercooler when there's plenty of puddles around anyway!!

Water cooled turbo ftw :p

its a crap idea, if it was any good you would see this on all the super cars. people have been perfecting turbo set ups for years, and for very good reasons non of them have done that.

main problem would be the spool time, the engine has to pressurise the gas behind the turbo to a point where the turbo is fully spooled before decent boost can be made. with the turbo right next to the engine that is fairly quick, but with the engine having to pump the entire exhaust system full of gas before it reaches a decent pressure you will have changed gear by then... its just a crap idea.

having said that it does look kinda cool, something a little different.

I only have a basic knowledge of turbos (like.. very basic!) lol!, but do I gather from what you said the turbo prevents exhaust gas going through till it can be used?

If Im right, wouldnt that allow more gas to be built up as there'd be more room to store it? plus with that amount it could be used at a higher pressure...

I know I've prolly got it completely wrong! But everyones gotta learn somehow :p

I only have a basic knowledge of turbos (like.. very basic!) lol!, but do I gather from what you said the turbo prevents exhaust gas going through till it can be used?

If Im right, wouldnt that allow more gas to be built up as there'd be more room to store it? plus with that amount it could be used at a higher pressure...

I know I've prolly got it completely wrong! But everyones gotta learn somehow :p

the gas coming out of the engine just goes through the turbo, the gasses are never prevented from leaving the system only restricted slightly.

the engine needs to be producing so much gas (when high revving) that the pressure in the exhaust system is enough to spin the turbo at a usable speed.

pressure only really builds up because the turbo acts as a bottle neck in the system.

with a rear mounted turbo, the time it would take to build up enough pressure behind the turbo so that the turbo spinned at a usable rate would either be so long that the engine never actually produces enough boost (turbo is to big for the engine) or the turbo would have to be so small that the pressure would be pointless, for the amount of work for the amount of gain you might as well fit one in the front, that way you can use a bigger turbo and get more boost.

Back