Useful Insurance Information

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Hey everyone. While hunting for a good quote today I came accross a provider who supplied all the possible modifications which would affect the insurance premium. People are always asking here "will so-and-so mod affect the insurance, should I declare it?"

So I thought i'd post the full list here so you know! Of course these dont apply if they are standard on the car...

• In connection with disability
  • Alloy wheels
  • Badges indicating increased performance
  • Blueprinting
  • Body Kits
  • Bonnet Bulge
  • Bored out Engine
  • Bull Bars
  • Chipping/Engine Management
  • Dashboard Changes
  • Decals/Stickers
  • Driving Lights
  • Dual Controls
  • Exhaust System Changes
  • Flared wheel arches
  • Flared wings
  • Front Spoiler/Airdam
  • Hand controls
  • Large Speakers
  • Locking Wheelnuts
  • Misc. Engine Alterations
  • Murals
  • Non-Standard Respray
  • Non-Standard Engine
  • Rally Lights
  • Rear roof spoiler
  • Rear spoiler/aerofoil
  • Rear valence
  • Replacement seats
  • Side skits/Sils
  • Sports steering wheel
  • Spot lights
  • Standard engine replacement
  • Supercharging
  • Suspension changes
  • Transmission changes
  • Turbocharging
  • Upholstery changes
  • Uprated brakes
  • Uprated stereo system
  • Wider tyres
  • Wider wheels

Now you know what you're supposed to tell them (and omg its pretty much everything!) :grinning:

ollie240585 said:
Can I say WTF to the following:

I guess they wanna find out if...

Badges indicating increased performance << your a chav?
Upholstery changes << a hairdresser?
Decals/Stickers << an msc silver member!?

etc.

exactly, i mean you could slap a turbo badge on the back of a robin relinat... and thats gonna make the insurance increase...

bwahahahahahah

Interesting: "large speakers"

I havent declared my sub, Was told I didnt have to as they're not interested in them.

m1ck97 said:

I havent declared my sub, Was told I didnt have to as they're not interested in them.

you are aware that if you get broken into and your amps/subs stolen then the insurance company will turn its back on you saying "they werent declared"

bal said:
you are aware that if you get broken into and your amps/subs stolen then the insurance company will turn its back on you saying "they werent declared"

I probably wouldnt claim anyway, would probably shoot my insurance up even more! Its expensive as it is. I'd probably buy a replacement sub and amp!

m1ck97 said:

Was told by who? They might not be interested, the stuff I posted above was only from one insurer. Personally I wouldnt worry about it!

A standard engine replacement could mean going from a CG10 to a CG13, it is a standard engine replacement......

Or could they mean changing a CG10 to a different CG10 (IE it blows up)

Insurance companies are so confusing!!! They will try anything to get out of claims so that's why they make these rules which can be so easily interpreted different ways!!!

ollie240585 said:
A standard engine replacement could mean going from a CG10 to a CG13, it is a standard engine replacement......

extermely doubtful, a CG13de isnt a standard engine on say, a 1.0 Shape.

Ian said:
extermely doubtful, a CG13de isnt a standard engine on say, a 1.0 Shape.

Yes but how about on a model that was available in a 1.0 or 1.3....say a GX, this was available as a 1.0 and 1.3l model....so strictly speaking it is a standard engine replacement!!!

I know you're probably gonna disagree with me.....but there is two ways of looking at the same statement!! This is how an insurance company could change an argument into their favour!!!

Hope u see my logic here!!!

yes but your basing your logic on a small list. There is a veyr long and boring document called "terms and conditions" that you agree too when you take out insurance. This ensures that if you mess them around say a 1.3 in a 1.0 because they made that model with 2 engine types... Your going to lose.

hughes_16v said:
what i meant is why bother telling them if your cg13 shot a piston, and you replace it with another cg13. never mind tho

Well you'd have to send off your log book with the new Engine identification number at least. Am I right here? Or am I talking out of my Rectum?

m1ck97 said:

I find that quite hilariously ironic, as in a huge front impact the weight of the speakers (considering their inertia) could make them quite possibly come smashing forwards to give you a spine injury you wont soon forget.

As fuddy-duddy as it sounds - minimum standards of fastenings for subs in cars should be enforced as they are often very heavy and in the event of an accident - often just loose weight.

ollie240585 said:
Hope u see my logic here!!!

I know what you mean. In the K10 for example, the 1.2 is a standard engine over the 1.0, but its a straight fit. If it was a like for like replacement, there's no point telling the insurance.

In the insurance list there's an option for non standard engine which should be used for conversions

As said above, ICE should be declared or it wont be covered. Im with tesco and they cover £1000's worth as standard

Back