Someone tried breaking into my garage!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Went to my garage on Sunday to see the lock had taken a blow, was snapped in two and bent between closed & open but luckily they couldn't get it open. I dunno if they were after the Glanza, or just what i've got stored in there. Its in a block of ten though and it's just mine that's been targeted, grrr. Makes me worry about storing the car and stuff in there now. I'm suppost to live in a "A" category insurance area!! There's no electric to the garage so i can't wire in security, so has anyone got any other tips to protect it & it's contents? The lock was replaced and i told the police, but they were only going to come out if they'd gained entry.

buntch of tw*ts....sorry to hear this!

a removable security bollard in front the the garage door? they carnt make off with the car but not to shure about what elce you have stored like said you can add more locks

We have another garage which my dad put like a thick metal pole on a hinge(?) it lies on the floor when the door is open

so when we bring the big door down, we have a rope through it, and through the garage to pull the poles loop through the garage door and then a lock is on the pole

so imagine theres a

LOCK(garage door)metal pole <<< that secures the middle section of the bottom of our garage door.

If the galanzas not moving get it up on stands and get the wheels ect off so they cant actaully move it. concentrate on keeping the car immobile, dont waste money on bollards, sure they help, but if someone wants in they will get in. Shame you dont have electrics, 240volts on a nice big handle and no one will be cumin back. :D

My lock up got broke in to, but they never went in the front, they actually ripped the whole back wall off, so dont just assume the front door is how they can get in , lukily id just sold the car that was in there (mk 2 track astra) so there was only a few bits left over but they smasehd all the windows in my spare crx doors. I took everyithing out and moved it to a basement because didnt really need it any more. but really unless you sit in it 24/7 with a shotgun theres no sure way to stop thiefs. Just hinder them with traps. :D

add more locks and see if you can get a more secure door to it. maybe some stickers like cctv recording and alarm.

mount a shotgun to the ceiling with string to the door and the trigger and blow the b*a*s*t*a*r*d*s head off! at least you know he wont try it again:p

Loving the shotgun idea, and 240V door handle lol. I'll probably end up electrocuting myself! I've taken some of the more valuable items out though and will store them elsewhere. Just so bloody annoying! Its a rented garage so not sure i can add additional locks and bollards to it.

wire a set of car hons up to a car battery and put a car interior light swith on the inside frame of the garage. So when the door is opened the horns go off (ive got air horns on mine) you will also need to put a hidden swith on the door so you can disarm it (ive used a small push button and hid it under the door so you cant see it but u can still tutch it). The battery lasts ages i charge mine up every 3 months

You can buy alarmed disk locks for motorbikes, fit one of those, it's battery powered and if anyone touches it a 120db siren will make their ears bleed.

adding more locks may help but to be honest im a joiner to trade and it takes me 5 minutes to break into a garage (damage free) if you add padbolts (the slipbolts with padlocks) there useless and easy to get through. and if there are houses around it maybe worthwhile fitting some kind of battery powered alarm, if theres not id get that bollard thing lol

That bollard looks too easy to defeat. There is a point which is far weaker than the padlock and would take seconds to cut through with suitable tools.

Whatever you get needs to be carefully looked at before you buy.

BG

Cheers for the replies guys, the thing with more locks, do they act as a deterrent or do they just show there's something in there worth having!? Quite liking the battery powered garage alarms, and Adam, is that red thing easy to install?

i say go for a guard dog, my mates car garage was broken into but they left empty handed when the Japanese Akita came running at them. :)

Cheers for the replies guys, the thing with more locks, do they act as a deterrent or do they just show there's something in there worth having!? Quite liking the battery powered garage alarms, and Adam, is that red thing easy to install?

what red thing ???

Here is a better pic of the Asec Garage Door Bolt

http://www.onlinegaragedoorspares.c...roducts\extrastop\SEC2600-ExtraStop_Large.jpg

http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/Garagedoorlock.jpg

http://www.sasproducts.com/acatalog/Garage_Door_Bolts.html

A lock is only as strong as the door it's fitted to. You can cut through a garage door with a good knife. Fit some 3mm steel plate to the back of the door and fit the locks to that.

It's in a block not near any power, so i dont think that'll be an option. Still i'm gonna fit these new locks this weekend

had the same thing happen to my dads garage, and he has an AC Cobra in there! what i did (because its a very dark narrow small garage) is to stick some old tyres infront of the back wheels, they are invisible in the dark but mean that the car cant be dragged out, also it is worth investing in a big scary dog and leaving it in there,

wire a car battery to the handle and lock to shock the bast%%ds, just remember to use rubber gloves to open. either that or just more locks...... also find out if anyone who owns one of the garages and doesnt use it to hire it off them they could be happy with the money and then if they get in to your old one the glanza isnt there! just an idea

if you were to have two parts to the handle with insulation between then it wouldn't use any power other than to shock them, i could do a simple circuit that would probably knock them out for an hour or two,

really don't like people who try and steal things,

Back