Broken into and Damaged

Hey,

My girlfriend has a 1990 Nissan Micra, it has 36k on the clock and she loves the thing to bits. About a month ago she parked the car on the road near my house and some kids bent the door back and got in. I think they were looking to joy ride / steal the car as they snapped the steering lock, broke the ignition and snapped all the plastic surrounding the steering wheel! She was absolutely gutted.

I rang all over the place trying to get a replacement ignition barrel and steering column (complete with key) and until recently I was told it's a matter of luck.

I have the steering column, ignition barrel complete with key and the all the plastics - all for £20! Bargain. I got the local garage to price this up and they said that it would be about an hour to an hour and a half in labour so about £40+ to fit it.

I was wondering, I thought it was a case of remove steering wheel, undo approx 5 bolts, replace and redo all bolts. Is this the case?!

Has anyone done this or can give me any advice? I'm not bad when it comes to cars from a DIY sense.

Cheers,

Chris.

The pastic bits wouldnt be that hard to replace imo, but ive never done a steering column, best bet is to get a haynes manual off ebay and see in there, its the bible of micras and has allowed me to attempt things i wouldnt usually lol

The pastic bits wouldnt be that hard to replace imo, but ive never done a steering column, best bet is to get a haynes manual off ebay and see in there, its the bible of micras and has allowed me to attempt things i wouldnt usually lol

Cheers mate. I was thinking about getting a haynes anyways. I'm sure other things are going to come up that i need to do to it!

Is there anyone else that has done this?

£40 is a good price to take out the steering column fit a new ignition barrel and column. its about an hours work.
I would charge that as a private job so don't complain thats a good price.

have ago yourself its any easy repair imo, i did this a couple of years ago, theres only about 7 bolts that need removing , i had it done within an hour without a haynes manual.

its a pretty straight forward fix mate, id suggest you find a breakers yard and replace the whole steeing column with barrel etc attached. most breakers keeps the keys for cars they break so it should be easy to fix

someone tried to steal my super s a long while back and did the same damage luckily my steering wheel boss snapped and they didnt get anywhere

but i know how your GF feels :( ive had 2 of my k10's broken into and its gutting :( hope you get it sorted!

£40 is a good price to take out the steering column fit a new ignition barrel and column. its about an hours work.
I would charge that as a private job so don't complain thats a good price.

I wasn't complaining. I was stating that if the guy who wasn't a mechanic can remove the old one in less than 10 minutes, and say that he can fit it all back in within 30 minutes, then why is a mechanic quoting me double the time.

I've ordered a Haynes (arrived today i'm told) and i'll attempt it tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Cheers for the help!

Chris.

I wasn't complaining. I was stating that if the guy who wasn't a mechanic can remove the old one in less than 10 minutes, and say that he can fit it all back in within 30 minutes, then why is a mechanic quoting me double the time.

most mechanics quote on book times. book time for an engine change on a k10 is about 6 hours ive done it in under 2 :p it comes down to how well you know the vehicle and procedure i guess.

i think most book times no doubt add a certain amount of time for unexpected problems (stuck bolts, things breaking etc)

anyway with your haynes manual you'll have no problems mate! and if you do pop on here and we'll help you out :)

when I removed mine I removed the whole assembly

wheel
column
barrel
paddals

all together.

the whole assembly is bolted to the bulkhead between the passenger compartment and the engine bay

on the other side (in the engine bay) the bolts that hold the column also hold the brake servo ddifragm and master cyclinder assembly....so this will be only supported by the brake lines if no one is helping you....

there are lots of wires and harnesses cable tied to teh steering column and all of teh connecting cables to the foot pedals have to be removed too.

If the car is just a shell its very easy...but if youre swapping it while the car is otherwise in full working order and assembled, then there are some agnoyong tricky bits IMO.

I would shop around for a good rate for labor and have them change it for you....you bill should be between 1 to 2 hours work maximum for a mechannic armed with all the toools and facilities.

I just had my micra broken into last night and they have totaly messed up my steering column. The steering wheel must have snapped off while they were breaking the steering lock. Iv already posted a thread but if anyone can help me find a steering column id be extremely greatful. There arnt any scrappys near where i live so i cant just pop down to one. The steering wheel must have been taken for some odd reason so im thinking of getting a racing wheel and boss kit. I cant believe the thick ####s left about £300 worth of stereo that could be easily ripped out lol. IDIOTS
:k10:

Nissan Micra Theft Attempt...

Hello,

My Nissan Micra K10 was also victim of an attempted theft! She has a name, for goodness sakes - you can't steal a car with a name!!

Anyway, Rosie :girly: put up a good fight and the nasty thieves did not manage to take her, although she was violated! grr Her door was pulled back (too scarily easy) and they bent the steering column in an attempt to break the steering lock. So yes, I also need a steering column and they seem to be like gold dust, but harder to find!

Anyone got a Steering column they would like to sell, or know of anyone who wants to sell one?? I know, it's a shot in the dark!

Back