Slightly odd bonnet problem..

Robert

Ex. Club Member
Well, me and napster completed the prefacelift conversion on my car today, but there's a problem with the way the bonnet shuts..

Here's a picture:
DSC_0700.jpg

As you can see, the bonnet is shutting, it does latch in properly, but it just won't sit right on the passenger side..
We spent ages trying to work out what was obstructing the bonnet from shutting but couldn't see anything that would be in the way other than the air filter.. We removed this and had the exact same problem so it wasn't that.

Any ideas? Kristian?

there are two rubber bump stops that the bonnet shuts down onto, located on top of the upper front panel area just behind the headlights. check the left one isn't higher than the right bump stop. with wd40 they can be adjusted by turning em.

robert

theres a steel strip/bracket from the bonnet catch down to the x member with a 10 mm bolt at the bottom, either slot the hole or drill a new one about 8mm above it.

yes thats the bracket, you can slot the top 2 a bit more if you want, i,ve always done the bottom one myself, it just looks a bit more professional sort of!

Ah cool.
Cheers, I'll have a look when i get back from work tomorrow :)
Whats the best thing to do it with? Dremel or similar?

Ah ok.

Just thinking about it, why would that cause the passenger side to sit higher than the drivers side?

silly i know, but to clear the problem being "bent bonnet", fit it to another micra!!!!??
i couldnt understand why either except the catch was getting in the way as it was at its maxium depth within the bonnet housing lock

or

the headlight is fitted wrongly and forcing it down making it seem like the problem is the bonnet when its not!!

robert

because the whole front end may be over to the n/s a tad, dont worry about it, it,ll sit nice when the catch is lowered

easy thing to test without making holes!!!!

remove the hole catch.....3bolts and its off!!!! (im sure u can do that without me lol :p )

then lower the bonnet down and see what it fits like? better than making holes and its not imo!!!?

If that was me i'd just replace the catch. It's completely diff to the pre facelift one and will only cost a couple of quid from the scrappy's.

easy thing to test without making holes!!!!

remove the hole catch.....3bolts and its off!!!! (im sure u can do that without me lol :p )

then lower the bonnet down and see what it fits like? better than making holes and its not imo!!!?

i think you are right, the bonnet looks bent to me, if it was the catch then it wouldn't be bias to one side like that. i think dropping the catch is a good test. but i really think the bonnet must be bent.....

OR the catch is to far to one side. either way, taking the catch off would tell you whats going on.

Yeah i'll try taking the catch off all together and see what happens :)
It was too dark when i got home tonight so couldn't really do it. Gonna have to wait til monday now..

And Napster, i thought after you went why didnt we swap the bonnets! Nevermind eh.

I guess with the catch off it should be pretty definitive whether its the bonnet or catch at fault :)

Just been out and took the catch off, the bonnet shuts fine when it's off so it must be the catch at fault.

It's Jas' old bonnet so didn't think it would be bent really.

Hopefully I get a chance to play with it tomorrow if works quiet :)

robert

when you took the catch off and shut the bonnet was the o/s wing to bonnet gap a bit tight at the front or was it ok ?

robert

i was wrong about the frontend being over a tad to the n/s then !
i expected a tight gap on o/s/f corner, and wide on n/s/f corner, the way that bonnet was kicking up

No, it's pretty straight. Does need adjustingf slightly but it's not bad.
You were right about the catch needing to go lower though..

robert

fingers crossed with the slotting eh !
there is,nt much adjustment on a k11, i can throw some idea,s in the pot if you want, but see how you go first

Had a go with the file at work today and got it sorted, The catch has brought the bonnet down to were it needs to be now :)

The bonnet is a little further over to the driver side than the passenger though, can this be resolved using the hinge mounts?

I'd stick up a picture but one of the lights isn't on quite right so it's making it look wonky..

robert

i had a feeling it might be, i dont think its a hinge problem tho and they,re not adjustable on the bonnet bolts iirc.
its going to need a bit of tweaking, best check with some pics first eh.

Here's some pics,

Passenger wing/door:

DSC_0747.jpg

Driver wing/door:

DSC_0752.jpg

Bonnet/wings from the top:

a.jpg

Bonnet/wings from the front:

b.jpg

It seems to be sitting too far forwards on the drivers side, too far back on the passenger side.
And slightly to the drivers side in general.
The bonnet is also still ever so slightly too high, Just need to grind out a little more to drop it down though i think.

If there's no adjustment in the hinges (doesn't look like there is) then I'm stuck.

Looks good though Robert, Is the rubber bonnet blocks all in their places/ (Not sure if it'll change anything, but worth a try.)

robert

they look pretty good to me !
you can take the whole bonnet to the n/s a touch if you want by tapping the metal loop/catch on the underside of the bonnet to the o/s a bit (it,ll angle it slightly !)
the n/s h/light to bonnet gap looks a bit wide, it,s a job to tell on that pic ?

You mean the loop that goes into the catch to hold the bonnet shut?
That might work actually..

And yeah, the gap between the light/bonnet is pretty big on the n/s, the light itself isn't fitted quite right.

I'll maybe have a go at the bonnet loop/catch tomorrow, but i think it's good enough. At least for the time being :)

Cheers for all the help, it's appreciated :)

Back