Random problem with the wifes 1.3

Hi All, new to here and to nissans in fact.

My wife has a 1.3 1996 "n" Which has been as good as gold until the last few weeks.

Now I have seen parts of the problem here and on other forums, but not Quite this exact problem. So here goes:-

Bear in mnd this happens randomly, it's not every time we use the car and happens after different distances.

The car will start fine and we drive to where we are going. We leave the car, come back and the engine light is flashing, the car starts runs for a few seconds, then cuts.

We wait for 20-30 mins the car starts and runs fine, sometimes with the light still flashing, sometimes not.

We get home, the car is left and next time you get in it, it's fine, no flashing.

The things I have checked so far:-

Put in clean air filter
Removed and cleaned fuses and relays, was worried to see an odd mod outside the fuse box with 2 fuses and a red plastic covered plug socket, but cleaned them as well.
Removed battery leads, cleaned terminals and connectors
Did try to change spark plugs, but don't have anything that will get down the tubes surrounding the plugs.. Will remedy that.
Oil and filter where changed less than 3k miles ago and oil is clean and up to level
Tried a self diagnosis I found shorting 2 pins of the ECO plug in, but it didn't show any errors, didn't even flash, so doubt that even works.

I don't know if the throttle body has been resoldered, but will be doing that this weekend, the car does run a little lumpy (may be plugs I know) and is a bit sluggish, so the resolder I think is a must.

Anyone got any ideas on the main problem?

Gary

check ur ECU isn't wet

when i once had a water leak into the ventilation and down into the ecu, the water foamed and shorted the ecu circuitry round the connector area which triggered the NATS. ign on, the eng lights would flash. start engine and it ran for 5sec then NATS cuts the spark.

when i traced the wet ecu i dried the circuit and the engine started again

Cheers.

Certainly worth a look, thinking about it, the last few times it's happened, it's been VERY rainy and/or foggy, so it's possible .

Also check the fuel pump fuse in the fusebox in front of the battery.
Had exactly the same symptom on our 96 Micra. The fuel pump fuse had corroded.

Back