Autochoke set-up - Engine Revving from start

Micra 110

Site Supporter
Sorry if this is a bit long winded :blush:

I had a problem with the running of the Car and i think it was something to do with the Autochoke but i wasn't quite sure.

(Good tip?: Normally before starting the Car i press down on the Accelerator which is when you hear a 'Click' sound under the Bonnet, i believe this to be the Autochoke, i do this to save Petrol but i don't know whether this works or not......fwn )

Hennyway......

......Whilst taking off the Carburettor i noticed that the wire on the Anti dieseling Valve was broken :(

BrokenAnti-diesalingswitch.jpg

So i thought i'll just exchange the Carb with another working one. Then there was a problem. On this particular model K10 the Electrical plugs on the Carb are Grey where as the ones on the Spare are White. (see Pic)

WhiteConnectoronoldmodelk10.jpg

So after a bit of swopping and soldering i then replaced the Carb.

Put Everything back and started the Car. I did a road test and everything was ok.

Today i start it up and it starts Revving like a goodun'

Checked the Petrol and Vacuum Hoses, Connectors, Bolts, Nuts etc but couldn't see anything wrong.....but heres the crunch....

I had to remove the Autochoke housing on both to do the soldering.

Autochoke Housing.....

AutochokeSpringHousing.jpg

There is a Spring in the Housing that goes 'twang' (Long sticky uppy bit) when you take it off...does it not? :laugh:

SpringinHousing.jpg

Photo of Autochoke in it's set position on Notch 2

AutoChokeinsetposition.jpg

Butterfly Closed...

ButterflyCLOSED.jpg

....and when Throttle has been applied....

Autochokeafterthethrottlehasbeenapp.jpg

Butterfly open.....

ButterflyOPEN.jpg

Now here's the BIG question.....

Does the 'Tang' (Sticky uppy bit) on the Spring, sit in between the Levers at the top?

Doesthespringfitinwherearrowpoints.jpg

All replys will be muchos appreciasos :)

Anyone?

It works!!!

Sorry not to have replied earlier, loss of Internet connection :doh:

Anyway it works, well it isn't revving anymore so i believe that little problem is now fixed....so now everyone knows!:laugh:

Actually it isn't quite fixed....i started it up but the Autochoke isn't coming on...thinking it might have something to do with the Spring tension but the car does run. I'm having another look tomorrow...

The spade connector is pointing to the O/s (changed from N/s), when you say preload, does that mean..er..i'm having a guess at this :blush:...like start the spade connector at 12 o'clock and going anti-clockwise right round to 3 o'clock to give the Spring some Tension that way ....??? The spring looks a little flimsy wouldn't wanna snap it! i wouldn't know where to get a new one either! lol!

I may actually get to the bottom of this on Thursday, i'm giving it to my mechanic to have a look at, i'll give him the Haynes manual as well......there's gonna be tears i know it! :grinning:

micra110

yes 3 oclock i think, its bimetalic innit, so as it heats up it winds the choke flap open ?
mine was wired to the alternator so it was,nt fed with the ignition on, but was fed with 13v as soon as the alternator fired up

Back