Micra Y Reg 1.4 - 2001 Door Locking Problem

Hi Everyone,

New here and first post; looking to pick someone's brains who is knowledgeable on the above car. It's my daughters car and it has a problem with the central locking on the passenger door (it's a 3 door hatch)

Basically the central locking will now only work on the drivers door. According to her it has been a bit intermittent for a while and now won't work at all; dunno if it has anything to do with all the rain we have had over the last 2-3 weeks.

I have removed the door skin and peeled back the plastic waterproofing membrane. The mechanism seems to be a right pain in the ar$£ to get to, so didn't want to go any further without some advice if possible.

I am pretty sure it is the actuator that is at fault but will stand corrected if anyone with in depth knowledge knows better or suggests I look at something else.

Here;s what I've done so far.

1. removed single screw that holds manual door opener with integral lock. This has 2 rods connected to it that pass through a small white plastic oblong clip some 10 inches along from the manual door opener. This appears to just keep the rods in the correct place and stop them sagging. This was undone by releasing it's locking clip at the top.

2. Both rods were then pulled from white plastic housing, freeing them up. Both rods then pass behind the metal frame of the door and go to the actuator area.

3. The lock itself (on the side frame of the door) has 3 screws fixing it to the frame, with what looks to be some kind of blue lock-tight on them. These have been removed freeing up the lock mechanism.

4. The actuator had a single hex head with pozi bolt in it; this was also removed.

5. There was a metal plate approx 12 inches by 4 inches inside the door panel held with four screws. This was also removed, although it seems to have no direct purpose for the locking mechanism, so I'm guessing could have been left.

With the above done I can't seem to be able to remove the whole mechanism. I'm guessing that the external door handle is connected in some way as well as the key barrel but can't see well enough inside the door frame to know how to remove them.

I also can't see how to remove any rods that may be attached to these, and if I could I bet it ain't easy.

I am an engineer so am used to using tools, although I am an electronic/electrical engineer not mechanical, so tend not to venture into anything like taking engines apart.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone is able to assist with some advice/instructions.

(Note to mods - Apologies if this is in the wrong area)

ying