Rust - A Hidden agenda

Micra 110

Site Supporter
That 1988, 25000 mile plus Micra i bought the other week has a slight rust problem. Due to it not being used there seems to be a lot of surface rust on exposed metal, ie all four Hubs and at the bottom of the offside Wheel Arch. Both Sills have been welded just before the rear wheel areas although not that cleanly.

I removed the rear offside Wheel to check the state of the underseal which apart from the stuff which had managed to hang on in there it was basically non existant. After cleaning the whole area, it became apparent that the Rust had a hidden agenda.o_O

Underneath some Underseal, not that old either, Rust was present in quite a large amount. So much so i managed to poke a Screwdriver throught o thr rear seat....also other places like on the Chassis where the Lower link attaches to, that's coming away, there are 4 or 5 spot welds on this part that could do with a line of weld along it.

Tomorrow i make tracks to the nearest welding bay for immediate repair but to be honest i really can't believe this vehicle has been given an MOT dated October 10th 2007.

After i've had the areas welded, i'm off to the nearest MOT station for a full inspection.

Never Judge a Book by it's cover they say......

An MOT only states that the vehicle appeared to be satisfactory on the date of issue.
So I wouldn't be too surprised by that.

I know, it's silly isn't it? Only valid on the day but if you can't produce one to a Police officer at all after the MOT it's an offence...

I've had a look on the Vosa website and they have the defects listed.
One of the points listed said about both Sills at the rear but also mentioned the Seatbelt anchorage point was excessively corroded. They did the welding on the Sills but not on the Anchorage point.....pretty poor show imo... :glare:

Took a few photos of the offending area.... o_O

Nice hole... you can see where they welded a plate on.

P1010031-3.jpg

P1010032-2.jpg

This is where the Sill joins the Bodywork...

P1010028-1.jpg

Inside the Cabin...

P1010023.jpg

P1010022.jpg

other side of cabin...this bit isn't too bad, something i can probably fix myself

P1010025.jpg

Gonna send these pics the MOT station where it was tested and see what the outcome is....according to the MOT cert, on the back, it states up to 3 months for Rust or Corrosion related problems....

I also had a word with my local welder who said it could've been better but understood that the testers only do a finger and thumb pressure test... :wow:

welcome to the world of old cars lol, i've just had some welding done on the boot floor and inner sills of my '83 mazda. Yours doesnt look to bad a decent welder should be able to put some fresh metal in.

micra110

the corrosion on the s/b anchorage that was listed was probably the bit that was fixed with the square patch, and the smaller hole you,ve uncovered was probably covered with sealer and underseal
for an 88 car the body looks pretty good to me!

:blush: methinks i need to put down the screwdriver in future! :laugh:

Just hoping there isn't going to be anymore bad boy bits....

I just got mine welded up on both rear cills....offside rear outer and inner ..plus near side outer.....

cost 115 poond!

the MOT failure report had all the seatbelt anchorage lark on it too.....

Im happy that I got it fixed...It was an awesome feeling driving it again after it had been in the garage for a week-odd (a bit her and there when they could manage)

hope you get it sorted..its worth it!!

Rich

I'm having a Word with the Bossman of the MOT centre later....could be interesting :grinning:

I can't believe that they had wanted me to go to Andover....if they do give the go-ahead for welding i'd rather have it done just around the corner.

I just hope he doesn't get funny about the situation.....fwn

It's all gonna be sorted. They're picking the Car up today, taking it to Andover, getting it welded up properly and then brought back for free. The nice man at the MOT place said if they could do a more thorough check at the time of the MOT they would do but they are only allowed to gently tap the important bits with a Rubber headed hammer and no scraping off of the Underseal, hence why they didn't see the problem.

The car's all ready stripped out ready to go....never realised there was so much stuff to come out...

I just got mine welded up on both rear cills....offside rear outer and inner ..plus near side outer.....

cost 115 poond!

the MOT failure report had all the seatbelt anchorage lark on it too.....

Im happy that I got it fixed...It was an awesome feeling driving it again after it had been in the garage for a week-odd (a bit her and there when they could manage)

hope you get it sorted..its worth it!!

Rich

Thats what needed doing to mine aswell as a hole behind 1 of the front bottom arm bushes.

Ive got pics, i just need to borrow my mates bluetooth stick to post them up.

Back