Rust

Wolfhound

Ex. Club Member
Had a look underneath my micra the other day and the rust looks quite bad, so what are my options?

Do i get it fixed proffessionally? Paint over it? Or just drive it till the MOT runs out in july and hope it passes?

If i can get some cheap anti-rust paint that would be good, but i'm sure it can't be so simple as to just paint straight over it. I can take pictures if that would help give a clearer idea...

how bad is it, does it go through the metal or is it just surface rust.

painting over wont fool an MOT'er they will have a prod about or at least my MOT'er does, painting over with plenty of under seal doesn't fool them.

find a mate with a welder to sort it out ,if its bad, cheap fix then.

the longer its left the worser it will get, best to fix now

wolfhound

i always spray my cars with a mix of shutz and old engine oil (the whole underneath and brake pipes, suspension, into the sills, everywhere :grinning: )

incidentally is a little rust in the wheel arch an issue for MOTs? I don't think it is and think it's surface rust anyway but treated it with crust the other week [as well as a small patch on a sill]. If it is an issue I will ask my boyfriend nicely to get his welder out....!

I wasn't implying that underseal would fool an MOT, but i was wondering how bad it has to be before it needs fixing.

What would i need to do to fix it? It does look quite bad as if it has gone through to the metal, and pretty much everything under the car has rusted, the axels, wheel arches even the brake calipers.

Back