Rough cornering

When going around a corner with a little pace I'm finding the feedback excessively rough. If I ease off it does reduce the problem but not completely. Driving in a straight line is absolutely fine - as far as I can sense. I had the car jacked up today and noticed that there was some rubber at the top of the front shocks that was torn. I've changed the rear shocks but have never touched the front shocks. Could the bushes be the problem? What else might be causing this rough cornering.

Daniel

When going around a corner with a little pace I'm finding the feedback excessively rough. If I ease off it does reduce the problem but not completely. Driving in a straight line is absolutely fine - as far as I can sense. I had the car jacked up today and noticed that there was some rubber at the top of the front shocks that was torn. I've changed the rear shocks but have never touched the front shocks. Could the bushes be the problem? What else might be causing this rough cornering.

Daniel

Top shock mounts are probably worn, I have spares there that will last a few more years,If you want to pay postage I'll send them over to you

Generally these cars tend to roll a lot anyway especially when trying to get a little extra from them...bless :)
If the shocks or springs or any part of the suspension and steering are worn or maybe there isn't enough Air in the tyres then it will not help in the directional stakes.

on standard tyres a 1.0 micra will slide, and squeel and roll all over the place. the very last thing they were designed to do is corner well.

not only that but they dont come with very good anti-roll bars. they have soggy suspension and its probebly worn out the bushes too.

first thing to do on any car for handling is the tyres. some 14" wheels off a civic with some decent tyres on would be a cheap option (bout £100 or so) then some suspension, eibach and bilstein streetline kit for £350 is a very very good option for road holding and lowering (about 40mm)

next would be the bushes,. nissan ones are available but not very good for handling, nismo ones are better and are available from matt humphris (www.humphrisoxford.co.uk)

lastly would be anti-roll bars, these are available from whiteline and can vastly improve handling. you can also go the full hog and get the caster kit, camber kit, adjustable trailing arms, lower strut brace, upper strut brace (makes lots of difference in roundabouts) drop links and panhard rod so you can adjust everything..

but its all about the monaay, its all about the dum dum dada dum dum.

on standard tyres a 1.0 micra will slide, and squeel and roll all over the place. the very last thing they were designed to do is corner well.

lol,

<snip/>

:wow: That's probably a little bit more than I'm willing to spend. It would be cheaper to defect from the Micra for that kind of money. I've had the car for almost 5 years and it's been very reliable and economical to run - I get 50-55mpg out of it (it's a 1 litre - obviously! :) )

I've only really noticed this problem in the last 6 months. Obviously something isn't doing it's job any longer. It might be cheaper to keep ignoring it but I'd rather understand the problem, fix it and learn a little bit more about cars in the process. I'm going to assume that it's the top mounts that need replacing for now. Tyres are fine - I ensure once a month that they're at the correct pressure.

Cheers for all the help.

D

New shocks, KYB or Boge
Spax lowering springs.
Toyo tyres (185/55) on a 14 inch rim.

Also a strut brace will help too! You'll soon be flying round the bends then.

Push down on the car when its not moving, it shouldn't bounce up and down forever, it should be pretty firm. If it's not, you will need to change your suspension components :D

oopsie. forgot it was a k10... yeahs strut brace and some kyb springs, plus some bigger tyres (wider with lower profile) and your sorted.

r kyb shoks just the same as the orijanals but in good condition or are they actualy a modification as bettter shoks?
also will spax lowerign springs fit them?

this is a k10 ant, so most of that doesn't apply, most k10s don't have ANY anti roll bars!

Toyota Starlet dont have rear arb's but whiteline make some for them. They are regarded as the best mod you can do to a starlet in terms of handling. So if whiteline make a arb for the ol' k10. It would be a wise investement.

thats my 2p

suspension, eibach and bilstein streetline kit for £350 is a very very good option for road holding and lowering (about 40mm)

Sorry to kind of steer off topic but a quick question, with the bilstein streetline kit are they coilovers? and much does it actually get lowered by its says 35mm approx and youve said 40mm its just i was gunna invest in 50mm's off matt but if these do around the same i may aswel get the shocks

the blistein street kit isnt coilovers mate its an uprated shocks front and back and iirc its just the springs that make the ride height differance or am i just waffling about the last bit

fair enough its a bit costly anyway, i think i may just go for the 50mm lowering springs but i dont want the shocks bottoming out :(

hey guys i am new to this forum just wondering if you could help i have found some KYB shocks and springs on www.buypartsby.co.uk what i cant find is some new top mounts does anyone know where i can get some from?

Back