Interior Rattles

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
What I've done so far:

-Slip some thin double sided foam tape in between perspex cover on instrument cluster. Rattled on some roads. No more rattle that I can detect.

-thin rubber stoppers in front of roof where sunroof sunshade rests, stops it rattling.

-rubber tubing on side strip placed on rear parcel tray, removed all original rubbers. Now sits flush against rear seats and hatch. No longer jumps up and down on bumps.

What rattles I have left and can't solve and need suggestions:

-the dreaded rear high mount brake light. Damn thing goes e-e-e-e-e-e-e when the plastic trim cover is on it. Anyone managed to fix this without making it ugly or removing it?

-Drivers seat creak, while cornering to the right the lower right hand corner of the seat frame i think creaks. I think this is standard nissan equipment as the pulsar did it and our 2 patrol's have had the same problem.

-Drivers door rattle up near head. Virtually next to your ear. Any ideas? Other than manipulating the door frame I'm totally stuck for ideas.

-Steering column vibration. under certain rpm load conditions the steering column vibrates up and down like a mofo. I'd tightened up all the nuts i can find around the area and got rid of most of it, but it is still there. This seems to be common with factory power steer micras. I havent felt it with non power steerers but it probably exists just not as pronounced because there is more weight through the rack i guess?

There are my only gripes. In reality the only 2 rattles which are really even noticeable are the steering column and the rear brake light squeak. I'm just totally anal about these sort of things and quite often drive totally silently so I can hunt out noises.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Cheers

-------

Okay well I've spent pretty much all today and yesterday afternoon sorting out rattles.

I've complete de-rattled the rear hatch. w000t. I grabbed some soft, compressable foam packaging from a computer box and I cut it to various shapes and slotted it over all the known rattle areas

-rear key unlatch rods which are harder to move now but don't make a sound so its worth it
-Rear brake light, along with my tape insulating the plastic I popped some foam inbetween the hatch and the front of the light around the black area of glass so it can't be seen - this stops the body of the light vibrating on the window/hatch. I also slipped some thicker foam on the rear bulb reflector thing which was shaking away like a champ. Now it sits tight against the backplate of the light and doesn't make a peep.
-Rear hatch handle was vibrating. tightened up the screws a bit.
-Rear windscreen wiper motor was vibrating, tightened up the screws (becareful not to thread them).
-Rear inner hatch handle plate (i'm not sure if all micras got this but its a little extension which allows an inner hatch handle to be screwed onto the hatch. this was vibrating likea champ, and some foam pushed behind it worked a treat to stop it from moving.
-Re-adjusted hatch latch to rest heavily along the nylon inner part of the latch coupling. I was using electrical tape beforehand and it just wasn't lasting more than a week before the noise came back to haunt me. Now the hatch doesnt move unless you hit a real nasty bump, in which case the rest of the car makes noise anyway.

Also tighened the screws holding the pocket sides to the fancy trim panels underneath the rear windows. They don't remind me that they exist anymore. Yay!

Found that both my drivers and passenger doors are vibrating something cronic with the aftermarket speakers I installed in them. Don't want to go the way of sound deadening on these doors because:
a) the hinges are weak and sag easily
b) too much weight!
So what will I do? I'm going to buy some of that expanding foam gap filler stuff and squirt some small amounts of that into the various areas which are making noise. It is nice and light, doesn't retain moisture and doesnt encourage rust. So its safer than stick on sound deadener.

Dash rattle through steering wheel - Okay well I was under the dash all morning and I tightened EVERY SINGLE BOLT/SCREW. Believe me, there's nothing NOTHING which could make the noise under there.
I have come to the conclusion that it is just an engine mount resonance through the steering column coupled with slack in the various bushings and bearings around the steering column. The fix? Buy a brand new column from Nissan. Thats the best solution I can come up with to the strange steering wheel shake which some of us suffer.

In other news I'm about 10 seconds off taking to my King Springs with an angle grinder. I hate them with a passion. They're far too stiff.

Stay tuned for when I pull the roof trim down and attempt to fix the dreaded open sunroof rattle.

cisco

» CMF Member
That's great progress already. Rattles cut me to the bone aswell. Can't stand them!

I did exactly the same thing as you for the perspex cover of the instrument panel. Both bluey and whitey have suffered from this. Bluey has been fixed, and I haven't fixed whitey yet. Might do today, thanks for the reminder!

The sunroof in bluey slowly becomes ajar after a while, then it starts to rattle. Haven't fixed that yet myself. Where did you get your thin rubber stoppers from, can you just by those from super cheap auto or somewhere like that?

Whitey has an aftermarket parcel tray, but it still jumps around occasionally. Hmm.

Funny you should mention the rear high mount brake light. Never had this problem ever in the past, but only the other day, the white car started doing it. I pulled it apart, realised also that the bulb was blown, so I replaced it, but after screwing back on very tightly, still rattling. Wondering if some little pieces of double sided tape like the perspex gauge cluster might fix it. You know, put a bit of pressure up against it and hold it firm against some spongey stuff etc. Might give that a go.

I haven't had my seats creak yet. Maybe a good excuse for you to get some lightweight racing seats. Mmm, I need to for bluey.

Blue Monster also has this funny door rattle up near your head. Absolutely no idea what it is. Seatbelt mount or something?? A mystery to me, when I get me car back and all going again, I will investigate further. Let me know if you solve it, I'm very interested in this one.

Never had any steering column vibration. Have the wheels been balanced recently? I'm sure that was the first thin you thought of though.

Best of luck solving the remaining rattles. Sounds like you are lucky not to have the gearstick rattle curse. Finally, fixed that up in blue monster. Crazy stuff.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
The rattle next to your ear appears to be the window seal.

I'm going to pull it out and stick some tape in there as well, should tighten it up a bit.

As for the sunroof, clark rubber has everything you need. I just got some sticky thin rubber and got a few cm of it and stuck it to the inner roof area - once you get up there you'll know what I'm on about. I dont know how long they will last though, i suspect they will deteriorate after a while in the sun and come off, etc. For the time being, i'm driving with the shade open. Enjoying the sunroof too much :p i think i should be driving a topless MX5!

With my parcel tray modification (which cost me $20 woohoo only need 182cm of the stuff) I think i might be able to stop the squeaky plastic on the brake light. Just removing the cover made the car soooo much quieter to be in.

Just about to go a test drive now and see what I've fixed/made worse etc.

---------

Haha stoked!

It is still there, but not much at all. Only on the worst of roads.

Now to fix coins in ash tray (might solve that by getting an e-toll device), rattle next to head and rear pop out window rattles (they seem to be moving against the rubber seals).

Tomorrow I will try and get it up on a hoist and see what is happening with the steering rack. I heard a little knock while turning and I suspect steering rack mounts as I can't find a single problem with the collaspeable steering column inside the car. All the bearings on it are tight, etc.

Gotta love nissans. This is the stuff which gives them character haha

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
yeah i got a funny noise next to my ear, soo annoying > also think its the window seal, mine only does it when at around 100km/h. Also just recently got the clear perspex dash cluster rattle too :(

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Ahh I think there might be two different rattles here.

The one I was talking about in blue monster at head level comes from the left hand door, and its a rattle, like something very light weight plastic, metal or something softly tapping around.

But the rubber seal comments reminded me of another one it gets on the driver's side. Yeah I think part of the rubber seal now sticks out a bit too much and flaps/wooshes in the wind once up to a bit of speed. Was very annoying on my last highway trip in blue monster, sounded like I was wind-surfing or something. Part of the seal is clearly a bit out of shape I think.. Might be it..

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Okay - rear pop out window squeek/rattle.

I took off a small trim panel near the rear window latches. I opened the window and then pulled the latch towards the rear of the car as much as possible and tightened the screws. No more noise from those windows.

Rear hatch rattles - replaced some scrivet pins holding the rear metal panel onto the hatch. Also put inbetween hatch and the metal panel some sticky expanding foam stuff I bought from clark rubber. This piece of metal no longer makes an annoying noise on bumpy roads. I also found my numberplate was making a nasty noise. Tightened up screws. I also now make a habbit of putting interior protectant on the rear hatch seals. This now minimses the squeeking the rubber makes against the metal when cornering and the body flexes slightly. I also wrapped a bit of hard wearing tape around the bottom latch. This has stoped the soft bumping of the hatch on the hinge.

Clark rubber seals on the rear parcel tray seem to be doing quite well.

Rear end is almost noise free. Woohoo!

Okay rear brake light - put some thin strips of gaf tape on the edges where the plastic meets, screwed it back together and woohoo! No more squeek.

Fantastic. All rear end rattles now gone.

Now to fix the rattles coming from my rear passenger trim panels (yes those funky pocket things in them appear to be vibrating! Will have to shove some paper/leccy tape into them I think!

Gah.

Fix one you create another.

*angry*

cisco

» CMF Member
Not bad Yom. Good progress.

I'll give your idea on the rear side windows a try, as that may be one that I have.

Was that the one kind of at head level that you were mentioning before?? Or was this like the whooshing air noise one? Or something different altogether?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Nah i've got an entirely different noise coming from beside my head. Its like a light tapping of the driver's window tapping on the rubber. Grrrr its starting to irritate me as well.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Righteo figured I'd give this a little update.

It seems that for every solution to one noise I find it creates another. Bloody hell, when will it end?

Anyway with the rear end a bit stiffer from the swaybar the body has decided to start flexing instead... Grrrr squeak and groans all over the place. Started by removing excess weight, that being the parcel tray. I'm planning on removing the rear seats in the near future and having pretty much a big flat space similar to ghetto's setup. I never used the seats and the way i see it, if I get the seats and stuff out and put them in dry bags they'll look better if I ever decide to sell the car. With all the rear trim out in the next few weeks there should only be noise from the body and the seals rubbing. Not to mention the weight loss I'm looking forward to! (series 2 super s are easily the heaviest micras in australia with all their standard equipment.)

I'm going to leave those fancy rear trims with the pockets in them though as they're bloody nifty for holding random stuff!

Other noise news, my speedo has started clicking after I removed it to take pics of the wiring for GTRHOLIC. I musnt have put the speedo cable back in properly. Bugger.

Cheers

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
sorry to add to ur ever exspanding thread lol but ive got two new rattles :-(

it comes from the passenger side and when ever i get to high revs and a high speed it rattles and actually sounds like something is undoing/unscrewing (scared now).

i think its got sumtin to do with when i was looking for my "resistor card" and i didnt do a screw up tight enough?

another has just appeared RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME i think its coming from behind the stearing wheel? possible the indicator stalk or sumtin, but ill have to look further into this cause again it only accurs on higher speeds :-(

any ideas thanks,

napster

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ive got a rattle thru high 2nd /high 3rd gear somewhere within the Left side of the dash. Its REALLY irritating. Im guessing its something in the aircon pipes. Any clues?

cisco

» CMF Member
Wow! I bet that feels better. Car must be a lot better/pleasurable to drive with so many things fixed at once well done.

King springs too stiff?? Maybe you need a fairmont as well mate!

Your cool little inner hatch handle only came on 1997 model micras. Seano's old mighty had it too. I wouldn't mind getting hold of one just for the cool factor. Also the driver's foot rest that your 1997 model has too.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Haha nah can't stand boaty ride. :p

I think it'll become tolerable when I get some higher profile tyres.

Oh Toma yes aircon pipes hitting each other is pretty common. I'd get in there and make sure they're not rubbing asap. Gets expensive if they wear through each other!!!

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Cisco,

Not sure about the rear hatch handle but the Series II driver's footrest is still available new from Nissan dealers.

The following are the details :
Part No : NI-67840-5F600
Description : Footrest Assy
Cost was around $60.00

I like having a footrest when driving so I have retro-fitted one of these to both my Series 1 micras.

Installation was relatively easy and involved drilling two holes and using some long self tapping screws to get through the layer of carpet to the metal floor underneath.

If anyone orders one you will need to be patient. They had to come from the UK and took about three-four weeks.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I can get the part number for the rear hatch assist handle if you want.

I'll take a picture of the inside of my hatch and if you have the extra piece of metal in the hatch all you have to do is cut out the already blank hole in your rear hatch plate. :)

Other thing I forgot to mention I'm about to do/add - carpet that rear hatch panel. Instead of sound deadening it I'm going to put some nice grey carpet on it. Same with the boot lip, just like cisco's blue monster.

Fabric is excellent at dampening noise. :)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
my speedo clicks when its cold..really weird and annoying

my rear trailing arms need to be lubriated..creak when going up bumps

my ecu needs to be bolted properly in the glovebox/under dash..

my sunroof when open makes a weird glass like rattle noise

my gearstick still rattles...

other than that everythings still pretty solid

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
-Drivers door rattle up near head. Virtually next to your ear. Any ideas? Other than manipulating the door frame I'm totally stuck for ideas.

that used to happen to mine and mysteriously stopped by itself (probably after i bashed the crap out of it with my hand - the seatbelt triangle bit)

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member

thats the door seal, pull the entire thing out (need to get window glass out first) clean it then put rubber protectant on it, put it back in, worked for me.

id like top know how to stop the high frequency creaking caused by the rear popout windows,

Alex

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I heard mine trying to do the gearstick rattle the other way.

I simply shifted the aftermarket (and very heavy) knob up a little higher on the shaft. No more light buzzing trying to make itself heard (i actually laughed and it and said take this when i moved the gearknob higher :p)

I did the drivers window thing alex but no cookie for me! :( It somsthing else. I have tried bashing the crap out of it numerous times but this has been to no avail. :(

My rear windows don't make any noise now. Yay. Don't know why but after I tightened the latches I also tightened up the mounting philips screws a bit and also put some 303 aerospace protectant on the seals and rubbed it in good. The seals feel nice and soft now... Seems to have stopped the naughty sounds they were making!

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
My 2 Micras must be charmed. Only small rattle I have is in Whitey coming from glove box area.Comes and goes. Whiteys gearstick gets some vibes at variuos RPMs but mainly when it is really being stirred.
Mind you my hearing starting to go !!

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey Yom, I could imagine you sitting there saying "take that" to your gear knob.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
"put some 303 aerospace protectant on the seals and rubbed it in good. The seals feel nice and soft now... Seems to have stopped the naughty sounds they were making"

choice, going to put some amourall on (yes i know it dosn't last, better than nothing)

Alex

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Haha. Stoked.

Some minor adjusting of the hatch latch and whammo! Not a single noise from the rear. Suspension makes a few weird noises but I've come to accept the micra's squeaky suspension ways. Suspension noise is just part of owning a car with modified suspension I guess. Pulsar did it as well. Dead silent when at stock rideheight though!

Now to find out what is making the shocking noise next to my ear. on the B pillar.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey re:suspension. Honestly 100%, blue monster has zero suspension noises.

It used to have this bad one at the rear. But I found out the cause. It was the handbrake cable zip tied to the aftermarket lower control arms rubbing and grinding against the arms when the suspension travelled up and down. So I simply cut the zip tied and freed up the handbrake cable a bit more, only left one main zip tie at one end, and let the rest be more flexible. Now zero noise. I honestly don't have any squeaks or anything. Can't believe it for a change. Pretty good huh. I reckon you should be able to fix most of the creaks from the suspension, just bulk it up with rubber grease and make sure everything is free to move and in position without any tension etc.

cisco

» CMF Member
Oh its got the 22mm rear bar on the maximum setting now too. That makes the car sit unbelievably flat!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well I decided to put some grease on the swaybar mounts.

Snap. Threaded one of the bolts. Managed to rescue it with a bit of grease, swearing, skin loss and by sacrafising my other good swaybar bolt. Now I've got to head off to the wreckers to get another bloody bolt.

And now here is a picture of the little thing you will need inside your hatch to enable you to have the s2 inner hatch handle.

Attachments

• 15130.jpg
    15130.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 49
Back