Problem with front suspension

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Hi all,

Now - I know its not a micra, but the front suspension is basically a scale version of the micra so lets go!

Car in question: 1997 N15s1 Pulsar LX Sedan 1.6L AUTO

Problem: Large KNOCK from front end, in particular from the left hand side when going over bumps big and small, and under braking every now and again there is a CLUNK from the front right hand side of the car big enough to feel right through the floorpan on the driver's side. Every now and again makes the CLUNK while steering (ie: in tight carparks while dry steering)

KM & condition: car has travelled a genuine 58,984km and was owned by old people.

Now - I've got it up on stands at the moment and a visual inspection brings up nothing out of the ordinary. All rubber bushings appear to be in good working order (but then again, so were the bushings in my n14 pulsar but nooooo they just had to collapse while i was cornering and in the outside lane of the round-about sending me into the gutter...grrrr)

I can't see anything out of the ordinary. Seriously, nothing under there has been touched since it was assembled in Japan...

I'm thinking it could be a steering rack bushing or the nylon bearings on the strut (suspension) top deteriorating.

Thanks for any help and please dont send me to the pulsar group of australia because I know I'll get a more intelligent reply if I ask my 86yr old grandmother. :)

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Okay I have a nasty feeling it is the CV.

It doesnt click while turning or accelerating, but how much side to side movement is acceptable for a FWD CV joint?

This one has like 5mm side to side movement in it - my N14's CV joints have next to none.

Sound plausible?

Back