Reprogramming key fobs

I have a 1996 1.3 LX. It has a factory fitted immobiliser with a Nissan keys fob, which would also activate central locking but it doues not have central locking! Nevertheless, activating the fob makes locking sort of clunky sounds!

One fob failed completely and now can't be found. The other is down to bare metal, but still works, thank goodness.

Of course, a Nissan dealer wants silly money for new fobs, or reprogramming fobs, or disconnecting the immoboliser altogether.

I got a secondhand fob and instructions on reprogramming from eBay, but these refer to central locking, so are a bit confusing. What would be my best course of action? Can anyone give me instructions on reprogramming my new (used) fob?

TIA

Keith

hi keith, yours might be the old nats1 (a rover type 2 button fob) which i had on my old super s.
if it is, mine had the little black box (under the radio) bypassed :)

Have you followed the instructions?

Worth a try first surely? It can be a bit difficult to get right, I managed to reprogramme my new Keyfobs bought on ebay also.

keithpld

Yes I have tried. Didn't seem to work. A bit confusing as instructions include unlocking doors and hazard warning lights flashing, which my car doesn't do having no central locking. But if you think it should work I'll persevere.

Keith

What did the original key-fob buttons do then? If you have no remote central locking you don't need any buttons then, Yes?

keithpld

The unlock button turns off the immobiliser, switching off the little red light (strangely enough with a clunk) so you can start the engine.

Hello there. I am new here. I just bought a Micra K11, year 1999.
My car got central locking but no FOB remote key. To unlock my car, i have to use my key in the keyhole.
I wanted to know about the FOB keys which is being sold on eBay. Remote unlock is useful for me. Can i use one of them? I mean buy a new remote key and program it? Will it work? Since with my micra, I did not get a remote key?
Thanks for helping,
Kevin

keithpld

I'm a bit confused. I presume you must also have an immobiliser. How do you switch that off when you want to start the engine? I bought a second hand fob off eBay, plus instructions which I haven't managed to get to work so far. Though it was then pointed out to me that becasue my problem was mainly worn rubbers on the fob, I could simple change the cover on my old fob with the cover on the new fob. I would stilll like to get a spare fob that works though.

Someone has also said I must have central locking even if it doesn't work, and it has suddenly occured to me that it perhaps has a separate fuse which has been blown so long no-one ever realised the car had central locking. I'm just about to go and check that!

Keith

Keith, The remote locking and immobiliser are seperate items.

The immobiliser transponder is the little chip inside the key part, mine is red on mine, so the remote central locking has nothing to do with the immobiliser.

You could unlock a car with the key and then start the car without ever pressing the unlocking bit, that's what some people do when the remote bit is knackered anyway.

keithpld

This is getting even more confusing. Even though my car has no central locking (or doesn't seem to have, although there are clunking noises when you press the unlock button - whcih is why I'm going to check for a blown fuse) the key fob doesn't have any separate bits. and you have to press the unlock button to turn off the transponder - otherwise the car will definitely not start, though the starting motor does turn. I see your car is a later model - perhaps they had different arrangements. My key does not have a key part, separte from the remote part, like I think I have seen on eBay for later Micras.

It would be very interesting to get to the bottom of this!

Keith

Forgot yours was an earlier model :blush: sorry

Not sure about Kevins question, I imagine they perhaps did make a model with central locking but without remote central locking.

1999 micra

I have a 1999 micra, it came with a key that activates the immobiliser and a remote fob for the central locking, there are two buttons, one to lock, one to open, they work independently of each other.......

Back