Replacement Key

Hi,
My wife has just bought a second hand Nissan micra 51 plate, so year 2001, its a basic 5 door 1 Liter,No Central Locking but does have an immobilizer, so I am not sure what K model that is.
Any way,she only got 1 key, the car was bought from a small car dealer, he said that if the other key turned up,he would post it.
So really we need another key, I see on ebay that you can buy 'Blanks' but these need programming,I have a Nissan Primera and bought a replacement Key Fob on ebay about 2 years ago and it came with programming instructions, so can I buy the blank on ebay, get it cut by any key cutters and code it my self?
I did ask some where in town and they wanted £65, that seemed quite a bit, but I dare say cheaper than Nissan.

Thanks

Steve

Hi,
My wife has just bought a second hand Nissan micra 51 plate, so year 2001, its a basic 5 door 1 Liter,No Central Locking but does have an immobilizer, so I am not sure what K model that is.
Any way,she only got 1 key, the car was bought from a small car dealer, he said that if the other key turned up,he would post it.
So really we need another key, I see on ebay that you can buy 'Blanks' but these need programming,I have a Nissan Primera and bought a replacement Key Fob on ebay about 2 years ago and it came with programming instructions, so can I buy the blank on ebay, get it cut by any key cutters and code it my self?
I did ask some where in town and they wanted £65, that seemed quite a bit, but I dare say cheaper than Nissan.

Thanks

yeah you can do. i had another ecu in mine i had to reprogramme it i gave it to dealers they charge like a 100 quid. the key cutters can do it. i got a spare key made by local locksmiths they cut and reprogrammed it. dealers allways charge more. not too sure about coding the key yourself, u need equipment which you woulnt get hold of due to security reasons. i think my local locksmiths charged me 30-40 quid for a key programmed.

My wife was out and about the other day an asked in another key cutting place, they said that they had the latest key cutting equipment (2 months old) and they did not do it, they also was surprised that someone else could do it & said that it might work for a while, but it also might buger up your immobilizer,so she is going to phone Nissan.I recon they will want too much and we will make do with 1 key,no real need for 2 keys,I never drive it, I suppose its just in case you loose the 1 key,you would then hold the spare at home.

Steve

Back