Suspension change - broken spring!

Hi guys, I just thought I would share my 7 hour marathon. Took a lot longer than should have due to rusty bolt and having to cut off the arb drop link with grinder. I changed the whole suspension on my K12, Front struts and rear shocks and springs, all as new from an SR 160.

Initially I just wanted to swap it over to improve the car but until I starting doing it did I realise that I had to due to a safety concern! I noticed the front of my car looked a little low but never thought anything about it.

Upon removing the old struts I found the drivers side front coil spring had snapped at the bottom and the nearside top of the spring had also come out of the cup seating! I hadn't noticed anything handling wise but obviously could have been dangerous on the road and MOT fail for my upcoming test next weekend!

Is this a common fault on K12's?

As you can see in the pics, the new suspension has slightly thicker coils and so hopefully last a lot longer and slightly firmer. Also looks nice for mr tester.

Attachments

• DSC_1471.JPG
    DSC_1471.JPG
    883.3 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC_1472.JPG
    DSC_1472.JPG
    920.2 KB · Views: 561
  • DSC_1473.JPG
    DSC_1473.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 867
  • DSC_1475.JPG
    DSC_1475.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 629
  • DSC_1476.JPG
    DSC_1476.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 438
  • DSC_1477.JPG
    DSC_1477.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 610
Bit disappointed as it doesnt appear to be any lower, but at least it sits nice and level now and know its safe. I think slightly firmer as the the coil springs are little bit thicker and has an extra coil on the front strut.

Back