removing rear suspension

sparkie

aka WELLY
hi,
just wondering on the easitest way to remove the rear springs and dampers
i.e going to have ago my self.
got most tools. trolly jack,axle stands etc. but i'm fresh out of 4 poster ramp.
any help, would be most welcome.

when I have to work under car I use my ramps under the floor with carpet on the top gives plenty of clearance and is a lot safer than just axel stands and jacks.

jack up the rear of the car with the trolley jack under the center of the rear axle. place the axle stands under the sills and the rear jacking points and lower the jack carefully so the weight is off it. remove the wheels. undo the nut and bolts at base of damper and use trolley jack to take the weight of just the axle/springs. remove the bolts from the dampers and lower the axle down with jack. pushing down on the axle, you should be able to remove the springs. inside the boot, remove the damper top caps, use some mole-grips on the flats at the top of the damper thread and undo the nut.
springs and dampers now removed. ;)

Yes but the wheels need to be up off of the ground.

i changed my rear shocks without jacking the car up at all. you only ''need'' to jack the car up to change the springs although it is better to jack up the car to give more clearance i needed to do it quickly (2 rear shocks=15 mins!)

thanks for the advice guys will give it ago. the only thing is i have to do it twice as i'm swooping suspension from one on to another.

Back