Rad fan on seperate switch?

Evening everyone, Right, the radiator fan has never worked on my car since ive had it. Dont know why really, but the temp guage has never been over the middle point so never really had any worries with it(Y). However ive just finished fitting the 1.3 engine in and had a turbo manifold made up and some bits and bobs. So now i wanna make sure its working when i want it. My question is, can i run it off a seperate switch mounted on the dash?? Like a flick switch, up and the fan is on, down its off, if you understand?. Just abit unsure where id take the power from etc and dont want to disturb the ecu as i know this is what usually controls the fan.

Thanks alot

Flat_out

Thanks for the replys. So i could just splice into 2 of these wires under the dizzy? and run the wires from there up to a switch into the dash?

Flat_out

No havn't checked any of it really as like i say, it never bothered me until i started this rebuild. Now for piece of mind i'd like to know i can control it:p. Just on like a flip switch really, simple on and off

Flat_out

Well the sensor has two wires only. Cut them and extend them as much as you need. Then just tidy them into the bay and into your cockpit. Mount your toggle switch wherever you want. ;)

Thanks for this, i'll give this a shot when i get upto the garage tnite. Hopefully update my blog soon after ages lol.

Thanks again

Flat_out

if it was me i would run a loom for it ie get a fuseboard and wire and connectors and hey presto it works, you start splicing and things can go wrong. see it to many times at work.

I was wanting to have it seperate, like take the power from somewhere and have it on a switch. As its not working atm. Its hard to explain it lol. Almost so its seperate if that makes sense? erm. . Take power from somewhere and run that to the fan. Then have a switch on the dash that cuts the power going there which would turn the fan off?

Hope this makes sense, and thanks for your ideas(Y)

Flat_out

ive done it on mine now as its still will not come on too i think there must be somethink wrong loom side. ive takeing anouther "window heater" switch and placed it in the spare hole on the top of the dash next to the fog switch, ran the + and - form the back of the head unit to the fan. so it all tyes in with the inteior and no randome switchs around the cabin

give that a whurl?

Thanks for that martin, great help(Y) , my interior consists of two bucket seats and a steering wheel at the moment so i dont have to worry about keeping things looking tidy inside lol. I'll give this a go tmoz night.

Thanks again

Flat_out

would it not be best to use a relay? there should already be one for the fan (not sure where). just run a small wire to the relay to turn it on. then just put a switch into the wiring going to the relay so you can controle it....
but saying that, would it not just be much better to get your fan working normaly? im sure it wouldnt be that hard, and then you dont have to worry about turing the fan off and on and your engine over heating.

i will say its not the best tbh and should ultimatly have it working right! but iv tryed all i can to fix the problem theres just no joy :(

Same here, thats why i just want to simplify it completly and be able to control it myself. I see people running seperate fans on the front of intercoolers too, so it must be possible to just rig one up for that kind of job i guess.

Flat_out

Back