Pothole!!!!

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I was driving down a lane near me the other night, as normal but a slightly different route, and just round a bend infront of me I see a pothole, not your normal pothole but more of a crater. BANG I ran over it instantly taking out the tyres on the left side of my car. Its a 60mph bit of lane, and I was probably doing about 40 when I hit it. Amazinly the alloys seem ok, but the tyres most definately are not.

see attached images: my local council is going to now be getting a bill for two new tyres and a track rod end. grr (pics are after I went home and fitted spare alloys from the ST grr)

Attachments

• pothole.jpg
    pothole.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 266
  • pothole1.jpg
    pothole1.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 305
Yeah its not something I want to do as it just takes road money away from where it should be but then I dont see why I should pay for the damage so im left with no choice.

tut tut.....Ed is that a 4 door punto you're driving? :p

Unlucky mate, that's one hell of a hole......sure i can see the molten hot MAGMA of the earth's core through that :)

thats not a pothole thats a trench!!

defo with the sueing, i sued them once a few years ago as well for 4 new tyres. They take the michael in responding so that you drop the case, just keep on it.

Go for four tyres, because your meant to change the fronts and rears together right?

I was thinking that Arnold. And as James said its most definately NOT a fiat!!!!!!

Just reported this to the council. They are sending me a form.

ed, whats the road like,
how wide?
where was the hole?
is it directly in the carriageway so to speak?

it looks like quite a thin road from the picture.

what council is it? im not sure exactly where you are? is it hampshire cc?

taken from surreys

"

If you decide to claim you will need to provide full

exact location of incident;
time, date and weather;
direction of travel, by foot or vehicle;
sketch of incident location; detail of damage* or injury suffered;
why you believe the highway authority is responsible for the accident.For vehicle claims you may also need to provide:
  • proof of vehicle ownership;
  • copy of current MOT and Insurance Certificate;
  • date of last service;
  • any other relevant factors.
* for vehicle damage claims you will need to provide two independent estimates for repair (unless repair was required immediately, eg. broken windscreen).

For personal injury claims, you will need to supply your NI number, date of birth and also earnings details if your claim involves loss of earnings.

When we receive your claim we will:
  • acknowledge receipt, and indicate if we have adequate information to investigate the claim within 21 days;
  • produce sufficient evidence to refute the claim, or alternatively, accept the claim within a further 90 days.
If the incident has occurred as a result of works carried out on the highway by a utility company or contractor then your claim may be against them and not the highway authority."

Ed make sure you get any of the details now, as they will probably try to contest it, as it will come out of their pot, rather than a road fund, or suggest you take it up with your own insurance, in some cases i would agree, however that hole looks like a joke, someone on a bike / very low vehicle, could have had a nasty off.

my advice is get a quote, but don't go overboard, if it gets contested it may be seen as you "trying it on" rather than claiming properly.

Ahhh, you see the side looks like four door Fiat, but i always thought the lights didn't quite look right for a Fiat.

Never thought Renualt....second question then....why?

I've taken some questionable automotive decisions (including driving a Renualt...or trying to) but Renault 19, when you have 2 ST's?

Running costs can't be that bad :p

Agree Pete (I found that page too) I'm not one to take the council or anyone to the cleaners just for the hell of it, nothing annoys me more than when I see others do the same. I'm not after new alloys or anything, they were not perfect in the first place, but I would like two new tyres and a track rod end, however you cant (or really shouldn't) replace tyres on either side unevenly, so I shall suggest that as the others were part warn I will contribute half to the cost of them.

Ahhh, you see the side looks like four door Fiat, but i always thought the lights didn't quite look right for a Fiat.

Never thought Renualt....second question then....why?

I've taken some questionable automotive decisions (including driving a Renualt...or trying to) but Renault 19, when you have 2 ST's?

Running costs can't be that bad :p

Needed a cheap comfortable car for doing the long journeys I do to map peoples cars etc, it does 470 miles to a tank (more than twice the st) and also takes all the wear off the ST. As much as I hate to say it (other than the pedals being too close) its a very nice car to drive, has a leather interior that's very comfortable, the 16v body kit (lol) and does its intended for very well. Its also turbo diesel with upped boost haha.

i did this too a coupl of years ago..I didnt go bac to the hole though and I too had to get new ball joints....tyre was OK though and I was only doing around 25 30 mph.....i didnt know you could claim compensation...bumer

well im prepared now

Hope you get things sorted with minimum anxiety

Jeebers, good job you weren't going a great deal faster, you coulda ended up in the hedge

we are having about 4 miles of road in grimsby replaced due to pot hols and people claiming wheels... one road is so bad that people go down in with hazzards on at about 20 mph.....and its a 60mph!!

they must have hired some of those irish "do your drive mate" guysof the telly..lol

i'd also go for the cost of wheel alignment aswell, it's not going to have done it much good just hitting the hole, but then it's needed for the track rod end.

Back