Steering is gone really heavy

1.3GX

Ex. Club Member
ok heres what happened, i hit a pothole (didnt see it) i was going about 30mph made quite a bang when i went to the end of the road and was turning i noticed the steering was very heavy more so i notice now on the second lock of the wheel... its not just heavy on one side its on both anyways what damage could i have done from this?

ps i dont have power steering

frank

Club Member
ok heres what happened, i hit a pothole (didnt see it) i was going about 30mph made quite a bang when i went to the end of the road and was turning i noticed the steering was very heavy more so i notice now on the second lock of the wheel... its not just heavy on one side its on both anyways what damage could i have done from this?

ps i dont have power steering

bent rack ?

not the hardest just get it jacked up and check it all over if u cant see any thing take it to your local garage and get them to look at it dont take any crap of them but

frank

Club Member
how would i tell for sure? is it hard to fix the problem?

if you put it on full lock and look along (down) the trackrod, you should be able to see if it,s banana shaped (the rack shaft, not the trackrod).
it would,nt be advisible to try and straighten it tho fwn

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
agree with everyone,

check tire pressure and your tracking, i have bent my track rods on a curb and i have knocked air out on potholes, all of that leads to weird steering

OP
OP
1.3GX

1.3GX

Ex. Club Member
tyre pressure is fine, although was slightly down on the wheel that hit... still heavy though, will have a good look at it tomorrow. mte of mine says could be just the tracking off i dunno though

esha

Ex. Club Member
Ask for a four wheel alignment, usually a check is free but this will give you all your thrust angles, camber, caster etc, if its miles out it would be a good indication that something is bent, but helpfully you can only adjust toe with the factory setup! Usually this is the main problem though, try and find somewhere that uses a computer aligner as theres no room for human error when measuring the angles then.

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
If you can sue mcdonalds for making your coffee hot, I'm sure you can sue your local council for poor road maintenance and damaging your car :p

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
If you can sue mcdonalds for making your coffee hot, I'm sure you can sue your local council for poor road maintenance and damaging your car :p
your forgetting to sue the council because you spilt your hot coffee on the pot hole lmao!then mc donnalds for not telling you its dangerous to drink while driving lol!
:laugh::laugh: