Police Turn Up At The Hedge End Meet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauras_micra

Ex. Club Member
I dont know if any one went to hedge end last Sunday when the police suddenly turned up and no one could get out! I couldnt believe it at the end of the day we are all just there to look at each others cars and have a bit of fun!! they cant blame us when we have no where to go!! this is one artical:k12red:

Police go into cruise control over boy racers
By Echo Reporter

CRACKDOWN: Police chat to drivers and youths at Hedge End. No action was taken here, but other motorists were stopped.
POLICE were out in force last night in a crackdown on irresponsible car cruisers.

A ring of steel was set up around Hedge End retail park a known meeting place for car enthusiasts in a bid to put a stop to the antisocial and often dangerous driving.

Every car going in or out of the area was liable to be stop checked by officers and those flouting the law were pulled over and action taken.

The operation involving more than 20 officers was in response to numerous complaints from residents, businesses and those who use the retail park.

continued...
According to police, although many are there to simply show off their cars, others use the area as a race track, reaching high speeds in often unroadworthy cars.

By 9pm the ring of steel was established around the hub of the activity at the fast food outlets in the retail park.

Teams of officers were set up at three stop check points and any vehicle seen speeding, driving irresponsibly or thought to have been modified to the point where it broke the law, were stopped.

Uniformed officers, dog handlers, traffic police and a vehicle inspection officer were all involved in the operation from 8pm yesterday.

Leading the operation Insp Shona Hood said: "We are not there to target those who are using legitimate legal cars and are there just to show them off. It is the element that then cross the line and start using the area like a race track.

"It is intimidating for those who use the parks, often families going to the fast food restaurants, and also residents who can hear the noise.

"We want to get the message across that Hedge End is not the place to come to do this sort of thing, as they have often come from as far away as Bournemouth. They can expect to be stopped and were necessary have action taken against them."

Large groups congregating around the fast food restaurants were spoken to and cars checked over by the vehicle inspectorate.

At least one car was declared unsafe for the roads due to excessively blacked out windows.

Scores of cars were also pulled over and checked as part of the operation.

lauras_micra said:
they cant blame us when we have no where to go!!

Erm, organised national meets or car shows? The majority of unorganised or illegal meets do have stupid activity & dangerous driving going on.

sounds very similar to what they here in south shields, a few weeks back...fair enough if people are actually driving dangerously but for the majority none do.

around here one womens call to the police was actually because and get this, some of the car enthusiasts were parking in a public car park (which they are allowed to do) and taking up the spaces...so her friends / family couldnt get parked. :eek: She must never be off the phone to the police if she ever vists newcastle...

FAIR ENOUGH THERE WERE A COUPLE OF LADS ####ING AROUND BUT THE MAJORITY WERENT AND Y RUIN IT FOR EVERY ONE ELSE!! BUT HALF OF THE STUFF THEY HAVE WRITTEN IN THE ARTICAL ARENT EVEN TRUE!! :k12yellow

Happens all the time at cruises like that or even just meeting points. However if you aren't doing anything wrong then they can't do anything, so you should have nothing to worry about. Most of the time the police up here are pretty good. They stay there but are usually ok, and just stay over to one side and watch. The last big cruise I went to there was a po po car at either side of the car park, and they just stayed there and kept their eyes open, didn't spoil it at all. Thats the way it should be. I've been to a few though where they have made people move on, which is stupid because everyone just goes to another place!!! And drives stupidly on the way usually.

lauras_micra said:
FAIR ENOUGH THERE WERE A COUPLE OF LADS ####ING AROUND BUT THE MAJORITY WERENT AND Y RUIN IT FOR EVERY ONE ELSE!! BUT HALF OF THE STUFF THEY HAVE WRITTEN IN THE ARTICAL ARENT EVEN TRUE!!

no need to shout

because unfortunately, a few idiots ruin it for everyone. its the same as the thing about teenagers; a few go around murdering old people and suddenly we're all lunatics. large groups of like-minded-people do tend to attract police attention.

at the last north east meet i attended, we convoyed (sensibly i may add... no speeding, wheel spinning, air horning etc) past a pulled up police car. When we parked up at mcdonalds, we saw a squad car pull up, look at the cars, then they came over to us and warned us to be careful around the traffic guys. atleast they were nice about it i guess. could have been worse.

that report sounds very biast against cruzers, there is lots of fiction and not alot of fact.

the "boy Racers" in "Un safe" cars. and saying there was ONE car that was not road safe and that was only because it had tints... i bet limo tints on the front side windows...

i know there are alot of tossers that #### about in their cars but its a bit out of order trying to screw everyone they can on the tinyest little thing...

still i keep to legal meets...

You will always get the odd boy racer who turns up and causes the trouble wether the event is legal or illegal, Police need to work with these cruises to prevent this and find away to keep everyone happy.

I local cruise to me which has been on TV as being really bad aren't actually that bad, when I joined up I had to supply address and all my car details, they said if I do anything illegal they will report me to the cops themselves!
They have an area behind the TownHall that is a car park but is never used at night because it's very dark and there's plenty of spaces lit elsewhere!

Just like council realised kids need areas to "hang" with their mates when out like social centres so do the older people who are into their cars.

Media portrays people into cars as speed freaks and anti-social, the Fast and Furious films haven't helped either!

As the illegal meets, sorry but none of the NW meets I've attended have been offically sanctioned by a council etc, meeting up and chatting for a bit then going bowling won't fool the police!

goldstar0011 said:
As the illegal meets, sorry but none of the NW meets I've attended have been offically sanctioned by a council etc, meeting up and chatting for a bit then going bowling won't fool the police!

That's the thing you're using the place that the parking is for.

If you went there, parked and just did nothing. Then they have a point

Doesn't work like that, there's a car park some lads use, not loads, near a MaccyD's, they get a maccy's and stay there but they still get done by the police, if the police have reason to suspect you're using the facilities for more than the intended purpose they can move you on or worse.

Question -
What makes a car meet illegal exactly?
How many does it take for it to be classed as a car meet and not a few mates chatting?

The report sounds fair enough to me. People who go to these things know the risks they take. Especially those with illegal mods etc.

hedge end is nothing but a rowdy bunch of chavs in crappy cars doing stupid things and trying to antagonise the police its pathetic ive been there once and can safely say id rather stab myself in the eye than waste time in a car park surrond by morons who think there 1.0 cars do great burnouts. i hope the police fianlly get it closed down its dangerous and soon enough someone will egt hurt. not long back some kid went into some old boy in a jag and all the lads mates threatened the jag driver telling him to drive off or get beaten up... nuff said i think

and also som lad got points for having 2 balds tyres, his defense being i didnt know they were bald.... then you should have a car! would be my response

It's a shame you get groups like that, we all know the stigma with cat groups and should try to break it but peopl e like this just make it worse for the rest of the scene.

Anyone care to have a go at my questions above, nice to know what other people think.

goldstar0011 said:
What makes a car meet illegal exactly?

Err, not being organised by people who have safety in mind?!!! Not getting the land owners permission?!!!

goldstar0011 said:
How many does it take for it to be classed as a car meet and not a few mates chatting?

When theres no spaces left for the general public :D Or half full even!!!! :p

I haven't got a clue really, but tbh i agree with the statement at the top. It clearly states that if your within the law, your fine!! Can't see a prob with that!!

they done this thru south shields @ the grassy, one night, they locked every one in n handed out over 80 section 59's, just for parking!!!!! its only the other odd one who be a noob, this is why cruises have a bad name!

ive never been or heard of this meet but that report written is not fair and really bad journalism. Its aimed at people who already have a negative opinion on people who modify there cars and is simply written to encourage this and sell there newspaper.

i agree with speedle me and him used to go to meets like this one the ones in portsmouth organised by cside cruisers is better they have police going around but they dont get involved unless there is idots i live in southampton and there is so many idiots round here who give real moders a bad name the meets in hedge end are far from legal with idots doing burn outs and showing off. leave it for a track i say
and i have to say that report was spot on really apart from the comment "thought to have been modified to the point where it broke the law, were stopped."
whats the point of moding when its against the law to mod a car lol

There will always be idiots and there will be more and more each year, trying to stop any type of "illegal" cruise will not work, checking everyone at a cruise will only cause hostilities and more.

Councils and Police should create a procedure groups can use to have meets. All people attending have to register, even have a sticker in their window (like at JAE etc), the Police can come do spot checks, even get to know some of the people.
Most cruises have websites and forums, they can check on there for more info.

They make it so hard for themselves by making out everyone at a cruise is a boy racer.

The car styling market is growing with more shows like Pimp My Ride on TV fueling young lads (and lasses) imaginations for car uniqueness. They have to bend somehow.

TBH I don't care about police presences, I've got nothing to fear, me and my car are 100% legal, I don't drive like a ### so what's the problem? Most coppers I've spoken to have been fair and have thanked me for my time. When I had my Focus beforehand one even said how nicely I'd done it (Ie not OTT!!!)!

TBH I don't care about police presences, I've got nothing to fear, me and my car are 100% legal, I don't drive like a ### so what's the problem? Most coppers I've spoken to have been fair and have thanked me for my time. When I had my Focus beforehand one even said how nicely I'd done it (Ie not OTT!!!)!

well said mate i have been pulled about 6 times in total in my 5 years driving and ive never got so much as a warning mainly due to me being polite and co-operative. and most of the time ive been stopped is simply for random stop checks which they are entitled to do. at the end of the day the police are paid to look after the public so they are bound to get angry when some of them start giving them abuse. i was brought up to respect the law and people in general seems these days alot of people arnt esp the chav's (may they burn in hell) :)

its funny because it was the first time i had been down there on a sunday normally there is the odd car! but it really shocked me to be honest u would have thought it would have least be an organised one! Hearing everyones views has really changed my mind bout going there again i cherish my car to much but i dont know were there are any meets in southampton or portsmouth area thats the problem!!

help please

Post formatting altered - Arnold

"We want to get the message across that Hedge End is not the place to come to do this sort of thing, as they have often come from as far away as Bournemouth. They can expect to be stopped and were necessary have action taken against them."

thats fine...they can all come to grimsby where wqe have the cruises next door to the police station....and the crown and magistrates court....

never ever have a problem... and anyone that is behaving irrisponisbly then they deserve everything they get....

but this kind of attitude just makes people go underground even more..... just to do it...grr grr grr grr makes me mad!!

well i was a good little boy that nite and parked wat at the top on my own and just walked around and was in a group phot with ultimate-crusin for fast car mag!

Luckily I've never had any trouble while at a meet. When I had the smart (stop laughing you lot, I've seen the light and now come back to a Micra...:p )

Anyhoo, we used to have a monthly meet at Baldock services. Police always used to turn up, drive round the car park, have a good look and then drive off. I'm sure at one point you could see them sniggering to themselves...

im amazed the cops would think micra drivers could do much harm lol ermmm its a micra not 350z :eek: so we should be ok lads lol

the police turn up at every meet down hedge end, TBH I'm with the police on this one i can count the number of people that go there that aren't complete and utter wastes of space on one hand. bunch of to***** the lot of em!

after the Evesham cruise we had, we were blocked in every car park we went to ! but when we moved to the industrial estate and they just watched us for 4 hours standing around talking....the paper had a statement from the police saying there were no dangerous driving reported and no bad reports from residents!!

sigh, this thread is a year old lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back