piston rings

superls

K10 Tuner
having trouble locating k10 ma12 piston rings, i know the ma12 bore is 71mm, i have also learnt that the k11 cg10 and cg13 are also 71mm bore.

presumably i should be able to get k11 rings easier than k10 ones?

would cg rings fit in my ma engine?

superls

I have a set for sale...as long as the ma10 and ma12 are the same...

If the cg10 is the same as the cg13 then im guessing its the same with the ma10 and 12

frank the ma10 oil ring is in 3 pieces, 2 flat type things for the top and bottom then a sort of consertina type thing in the middle, if that makes sense.

curtis, no the ma10 and ma12 have a different bore, 68 for the 10 and 71 for the 12 i believe.

frank yes those measurements would be usefull if just for referance

frank the ma10 oil ring is in 3 pieces, 2 flat type things for the top and bottom then a sort of consertina type thing in the middle, if that makes sense.

curtis, no the ma10 and ma12 have a different bore, 68 for the 10 and 71 for the 12 i believe.

frank yes those measurements would be usefull if just for referance

ah, 3 piece then, i make it 1.25mm, 1.5mm and 3mm (top down) :)

i have half a set of ma12 rings in me shed somewhere ill get them out tonight and have a measure to see how they compare. cheers frank

dont know what the k10 pistons are like as regards the measurement you have given. ill have to measure one, that could work to my advantage as i have a set of cg13 pistons,

oh just remembered i have a cg13 block off of squarepants with pistons, rings and everything, so i think some comparisons are in order.

dam that means i have to tidy up my workshop if im going to have 2 engines in pieces, lol. and lost of sealable bags.

dont suppose you know how many cc's the cg piston dish is do you? long shot i know, lol. just saves me measuring it.

dont suppose you know how many cc's the cg piston dish is do you? long shot i know, lol. just saves me measuring it.

if the 1.0 combustion chamber + gasket area is about 30cc ,which equates to a c/r of 9.5:1, ie, 280cc (cylinder + chamber + gasket) and the the swept volume of the cylinder (250cc).
then in order to get the same 9.5:1 c/r for the bigger 1.3 engine (ie 320cc cylinder) the dish in the 1.3 piston needs to be about 4cc ? :)

in the cg 10, if im right, (probable not), the combustion chamber plus the gasket buls the short fall of the piston grom the top of the block (if any) must be 26.31cc for a cr of 9.5.

swept volume 250 / compression ratio is 26.31.

or am i doing it wrong?

edit that having looked on wikipedia my calcs are wrong, so yours dont seem too far off frank, given that the combustion chamber plus h/g are about 30cc's, have you measured this frank?

in the cg 10, if im right, (probable not), the combustion chamber plus the gasket buls the short fall of the piston grom the top of the block (if any) must be 26.31cc for a cr of 9.5.

swept volume 250 / compression ratio is 26.31.

or am i doing it wrong?

the pistons reach flush with the top of the block, iirc , and the combustion chamber + gasket + cyl (280cc) is compressed to 9,1/2 times smaller = (30cc) ?

just arcing back to a realy old thread, but if the cg13 pistons are flush with the block with a dish in the middle.... and the cg10 ones are flat top. if the cg10 ones also meet flush with the top of the block... whats to stop you using flat top cg10 pistons in a high c/r cg13?

oh and the best way of measuring the dish is to.. erm. measure it. lol, you can do it with jelly. take four well nakered cg13 pistons, 1 block of whatever flavoured jelly you like, mix with hot water and pour into pistons, allow to set, take out the inserts now formed and heat them up in a bowl over a pan of hot water...... measure the results and devide by 4..lol

back of the fag-packet maths :blush:

best sort imo, along with beer mat tech drawings

i have half a set of ma12 rings in me shed somewhere ill get them out tonight and have a measure to see how they compare. cheers frank

just measured them, 1 of the compression rings is 1.5mm, the other compression rings is L shaped with the bottom of the L facing outwards, the outfacing part (bottom of the L) is 1.5mm and 1mm on the bac bit (as you view an L)

and the oil ring is deff 3 pieces and is 3.6mm

just having consulted the haynes manual both the top and 2nd ring should be rectangular and not the L shape that it is, so im assuming the L shaped one is worn rather badly,

so just to correct both the top and second rings should be 1.5mm, well thats what i think anyway.

I have tried this already. It doesn't work out. The bore diameter is the only thing they share. Everything else was different.

dam, cheers ed im sure someone would have tried it at some point, and my money was on you anyway lol,

cant even fit the cg13 piston on the ma conrod as the gudgeon pin is a different diameter. cg is 18mm (as per franks post) and the ma is 17mm as per the k10 service manual that micra110 posted last week

looks like im going to have to source some k10 ones then.

Back