Piston Ring Info required

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Hi
I Have a few piston ring questions. Do the CG10, CG13, CGA3 all share the same piston rings? what are the measurements for the rings on a CGA3?

Bore – 71.00 mm

Layout 1.20 mm x 1.50 mm x 3.00 mm

Does anyone know where the best way to get these from or get uprated ones?

Piston rings differ depending on the year.

CG10 & CG13 use the same rings up until 07.2000, (12033-99B20), then they go to a different set of rings which are impossible to get, (12033-1F700's), been there done that and opted for another option. There were different rings on the VERY early engines but I don't know of anyone with one of those engines and cannot be bothered to find it in the parts list since it's not relevant to your CGA3.

CGA3 use different rings, 72mm bore v's 71mm bore for the CG10 & CG13. As for the rings, I am sure Frank said something about them being a tad thinner then those on the CG1x engines......I'm sure he'll post up his findings and some pics, as he's had more of these engines apart than most of us :)

As for uprated rings, not sure to be honest......you having problems Paul?

I would say the best bet maybe to start with Matt Humphris but I suspect if you cannot find any from any ring manufacturers than you'd be looking at a different piston, which is going to cost ya ;)

Thats cool, I am having a few issues and i believe this is the way to go. Is anyone able to confirm some sizes or measurements for the CGA3 rings?

My concern with new standard rings are that theyll die really really quick with the setup i currently run. I have a company that seem to want to help but need as much info on the rings as possible for them to quote and create.

Thanks

Paul

The only I have heard relating to standard rings for the K11 is ring flutter at high rpms and this was before the CGA3 was ever around and would be more of a concern due to the rings being thicker on the CG1x series engines. They opt for thinner rings on the forged pistons, 1.0, 1.2 & 2.0mm.

Accralite use 1.0, 1.2 & 2.8 for their rings on the CGA3 forged pistons, so I would hazard a guess that that's what the stock pistons use. Frank will be able to clarify I'm sure.....

What's the problem out of interest?

Hi

Cool, hopefully frank or ed or someone can shed some light on this lol, Basically the engine smoked and we cleared that up or so I thought. The smoke has now returned. At low RPM and a constant drive there is minimal smoke but under any higher revs a large bluey cloud appears and stays. I thought there may be an issue with the valve stem seals initially so swapped them out yesterday but the problem remains. The only bit that is getting me is the compression is amazing and she pulls like you wouldn't believe. I am sure if i can stop the oil burning she will be incredible.

There were 2 main thoughts valve stem seals which i have now done or rings :(

I may have a look at some other options if anyone has any suggestions, crank case breathers maybe blocked. I think it is probably unlikely though. I have spoken with nissan and they can supply me the rings but there are 2 types the normal standard ones or some that were used on a few models that were .2 larger, but no way of knowing which ones i need, and i'd be worried that the standard ones aren't strong enough.

Hi

Cool, hopefully frank or ed or someone can shed some light on this lol, Basically the engine smoked and we cleared that up or so I thought. The smoke has now returned. At low RPM and a constant drive there is minimal smoke but under any higher revs a large bluey cloud appears and stays. I thought there may be an issue with the valve stem seals initially so swapped them out yesterday but the problem remains. The only bit that is getting me is the compression is amazing and she pulls like you wouldn't believe. I am sure if i can stop the oil burning she will be incredible.

There were 2 main thoughts valve stem seals which i have now done or rings :(

I may have a look at some other options if anyone has any suggestions, crank case breathers maybe blocked. I think it is probably unlikely though. I have spoken with nissan and they can supply me the rings but there are 2 types the normal standard ones or some that were used on a few models that were .2 larger, but no way of knowing which ones i need, and i'd be worried that the standard ones aren't strong enough.

Hi Paul, could it be something to do with the oil breather that returns the oil into the bottom of the inlet manifold & is sucking it into the head? Since you have good compression its just a wild guess if you whip the throttle body off & theres an excussiv amount of oil might shed some light?

Hi

It could possibly be that breather i will check it when i get in, what could cause this to shoot so much oil back up to the head? I could whip the throttle body of only i have quad throttlebodies and that is more of a mission :grinning:

Hi

It could possibly be that breather i will check it when i get in, what could cause this to shoot so much oil back up to the head? I could whip the throttle body of only i have quad throttlebodies and that is more of a mission :grinning:

That is a propper mission! :OS Does your inlet manifold have a custom pipe for the breather to go into? Wonder if the increase in airflow is pulling the oil through... also if im thinking right is that the breather that comes from the rocker cover? If it is maybe the little ball valve in the rocker cover has failed so is allowing oil to be pulled through?

Easy way to check is to leave the breather unpluged from the inlet tract, plug the fitting to the runner and see if it still smokes. We get plenty of blowby at high rpms but it goes to atmosphere and is not plummed back into the inlets, so that's worth checking out before you think about it too much ;)

i have only come across 2 types personally, the thinner coilpack ones 2.6mm/1.35mm/1.4mm gaps, and pre coilpack (3mm/1.55mm/1.35mm gaps)
and the 72mm cga of coarse :)

Back